Pool Light / transformer question..

Jul 12, 2012
Winter Haven, FL
Pool light isn't working.. I figured it might be the switch got wet and quit working. So last night in between rains, I ran outside and used the voltmeter on my switch. when I turn it on, i get that the signal is hot on both sides of the switch. This makes me think the transformer is to blame.

Its a 120v to 12v DC c. transformer. Do you guys think I can buy one of the Home Depot transformers for outdoor lights, or do I need a special kind?

Hampton Bay 12-Volt Low-Voltage 200-Watt Transformer-HD22772 - The Home Depot

would this work? I consulted w/ a home depot employee he said an outdoor light transformer would work he thinks. Thanks for the electrical help :)

would probably work as long as the wattage/amperage supported isn't too low. What kind of light do you have? I noticed that my led pool lights are actually 12v AC, not DC, which was a surprise to me...

I don't know the wattage of the light it's been a little while since I checked. Here is what I bought:

ProLED BR40 Pool Light Bulb
Pool Light Bulb, Pro LED BR40 | Pinch A Penny Store

From Pinch a penny. Weird, it doesn't show the watts.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as your bulb is less than 200W. Having said that, i cannot tell you if the Hampton Bay fan X former can handle being in a electrical box outdoors (humidity, etc.).
Is the one that should be used much more expensive?

The one that should be used is around 100-120 dollars. So this one is much cheaper. I was just wondering were most of the transformers universal, as long as it takes my 120v and turns it to 12v. I guess any would work as long as I'm getting enough watts to power the light?

How many pool lights are you running off of that transformer? There is no way that a LED pool light can consume 300 Watts. Pinch a penny probably saw that the bulb was a 300 Watt equivalent and told you it took 300 Watts to run it. 50 Watts or less is typical for a LED pool light. As far as trouble shooting the current transformer, open up the junction box that the light is connected to and measure the voltage there. Also check that the connections are good. Wire nuts can sometimes loosen up due to thermal contraction and expansion.

How many pool lights are you running off of that transformer? There is no way that a LED pool light can consume 300 Watts. Pinch a penny probably saw that the bulb was a 300 Watt equivalent and told you it took 300 Watts to run it. 50 Watts or less is typical for a LED pool light. As far as trouble shooting the current transformer, open up the junction box that the light is connected to and measure the voltage there. Also check that the connections are good. Wire nuts can sometimes loosen up due to thermal contraction and expansion.

The link I posted is incorrect, it's not a LED.. it's a normal pool light. Similar to this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX0541Z1-Compatible-Replacement-Underwater/dp/B00S0CQRCK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435432315&sr=8-3&keywords=300+watt+pool+light

It is just 1 light that goes in the side. I'll open up the junction box today and see where I get with it today. Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd be very cautious about using a transformer not specifically called out for pool lights -- I don't know what NEC rules apply, but a badly designed transformer could fail in a way that shorts the primary to the secondary, allowing 120V through to the pool. I don't know what, if any, safety features that dedicated pool light transformers have to address this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.