Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmers and Drains

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmers and Drains

I would like to make some adjustments to the powerfulness of the skimming (if it's even possible). I don't feel like our pool skims well from the top. I don't know if it has anything to do with the deepness of our pool so the main drain is 8.5 deep below. I've been a good student of TFPC pool chemistry and have that down so now I'd like to fix a few other things to help out with the general appearance. Is what I'm suggesting even possible?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmers and Drains

I tend to have that issue when the pool is "too full", e.g. after a couple of inches of rain. I tend to keep my water low (lower half of the skimmer) so that I can get as much skimming as I can. If that doesn't work for you, do you have a valve or valves before the pump where you can adjust where to "pull" the water from?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Typically if someone wanted to increase their skimmer strength (for surface water cleaning), they would look to their plumbing controls. Some pools have a 3-way valve on their suction side just before the pump basket that allows them to adjust how much suction they want coming in from either the main drain versus the skimmer(s). If you have such a valve, you could try adjusting that.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have had that problem since I "inherited" my pool when I bought my house.

Come to find out, one of my two skimmers didn't have a weir (flap), and the other was badly damaged and might as well have not been there. I just replaced them last night, and the skimming action is much, much better.

After you check your 3-way valve, check your weir(s) and make sure they're in place and working as they should.

Prior to purchasing new weirs, I tried a product called the Skim Doctor. It's supposed to create a vortex in your skimmer which improves skimming action. Unfortunately, my skimmer baskets sit so low in the water that I didn't see any benefit from it. I believe the product is a sound design, but it just didn't work for my particular application.

If you try everything that's been suggested so far in this thread and still want/need more skimmer action, PM me your address and I'll gladly ship this Skim Doctor to you, no charge.
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

5. Back To Top    #5

I think we might have the valve. I'll check when we get home and also the wiers. Then I'll post back Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

You do have the valve. I remember seeing it in your SLAM.

Not Sure Where to Start - Or What We Are Doing Wrong - Page 3
    The pic in post 60 with your equipment
    The two valves in front of your pump to the right of the motorized valve (that probably switches between spa and pool). My guess is the valve on the right will turn off flow from the bottom drain if you turn it so that the handle points to the left.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Skimmers and Drains

Thanks pooldv! Good memory!

26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]