Cloudy pool and high filter pressure

Jun 26, 2015
london
Greetings everyone,

I am a new pool owner and new to this website as well. So please bear with me.
I opened my, round above ground, pool with an experienced friend last week. The water was sparkling clean but was a bit acidic. We shocked the water and I waited few days before I went to the pool store yesterday and got them to test the water. They wanted me to add Calcium and increase the pH also they recommended adding stabilizer since free Chlorine levels were low. I added the stuff and pool turned cloudy right a way. I called the pool store and they told me the cloudiness will go away quickly. I let the pump work overnight and this morning it is still cloudy. The sand filter pressure level has raised to 20 psi (it was around 12 last night). Also when I turned the pump off, I can see most of the cloudiness is accumulated at the centre of the pool. I measured the pH this morning and it is obviously too high.
Am I facing calcium scaling here? or is it other problems that I caused myself?

Thanks for advice in advance

Welcome to TFP.

The cloudiness is probably from the calcium you added. Vinyl pools don't require calcium additions.

You need to backwash your sand filter and brush the pool. Leave your pump running 24/7 and it should clear in a few days or so.

Are you able to get a Taylor K2006 test kit in London? It is one of the test kits we recommend here.

In pool school please read the ABC's of pool water chemistry and Recoomended levels. This will help you understand a little more.

The Calcium you didn't need to buy (You've officially been pool-stored) often causes cloudiness, especially if the pH is high.

Could you answer a few questions to help us help you? How big is the pool, what exactly did you add, and do you have anything to test the water yourself? There's a very good chance the pool store prescription was based on the wrong size pool which is why you added too much whatever to adjust pH. Now you need some acid to lower the pH. Correct pH and time should clear things up, assuming there is no algae.

Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Thanks for the prompt response. The pool diameter is 17 ft and x 4 ft deep. I told them 20 ft (not a smart thing to estimate the measurements). I added 4.75 kg Total Alkalinity increaser. 4.5 kg Calcium hardness increaser. Phospho Free 2 Liter and Stablizer 1/4 of the container.
I called the pool store today again and they told me just run the pump and it should get cleared. They also mentioned no need for the backwash. Chemicals may clogged the pool and running the pump should resolve the problem.
Above ground pool, 6800 gallons, one speed hayward Sp5610, PowerFlow Matrixpump, Pool toped up with tab water.

We have a clue!
attachment.php

Thanks for the prompt response. The pool diameter is 17 ft and x 4 ft deep. I told them 20 ft (not a smart thing to estimate the measurements). I added 4.75 kg Total Alkalinity increaser. 4.5 kg Calcium hardness increaser. Phospho Free 2 Liter and Stablizer 1/4 of the container.
I called the pool store today again and they told me just run the pump and it should get cleared. They also mentioned no need for the backwash. Chemicals may clogged the pool and running the pump should resolve the problem.
Above ground pool, 6800 gallons, one speed hayward Sp5610, PowerFlow Matrixpump, Pool toped up with tab water.
Poolmath says that much Alkalinity Increaser (It's just baking soda 4X as expensive as the grocery store) will raise TA by 110 and raise pH by .22. Aeration will drive that pH up even higher, as you've observed.

If there was any algae in the pool at all, Phosfree will also create cloudiness. Many people report it turning their pool milky. In fact, the maker even says not to put it in a pool unless the algae is gone. Another useless product you were sold unnecessarily. They also recommend backwashing after 48 hours.
Phosfree | Product Detail | Natural Chemistry

Anyway... still don't know if you have any way to test your own water or if you intend to continue to go to the pool store for their "free" testing. Without accurate test results, there isn;t much we can help you with. You'll need acid to lower pH and bring down the TA, and FC to kill algae and keep it at bay. How much is anyone's guess without test results.

Please add your country to your location, UK or Canada I assume? Although, there is a London, TX. So, if you are in London, TX please add your state. Climate is an important aspect of pool care. Also, what country you live limits what test kits are available for us to recommend.

You can add your pool info to your signature so that it will show up every time you post. Pool info is also important when offering advice on pool care. How and what to add to your signature is shown here, Pool School - Getting Started

Sorry still are not familiar with this forum. It is London, Canada.
I had clear water (no algae at all). Interestingly, if I stop the pump the cloudiness goes to the centre of the pool and water gets cleared. I did a 2x backwash (2 min) + 2x rinse (20s). The filter pressure went down to 12 psi. The pool store is been problematic for me. I probably buy k2006 kit and test the water myself. I am afraid may need to replace most of this water to solve the problem.
Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.