Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cold water!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Tucson area, AZ

Cold water!!!

I didn't really close my pool this year, just set the pump to come on if the temperature is predicted to get below freezing. I do have a solar cover on it to keep the worst of the dust out of it, though. Anyway, I decided I should probably clean out my filter cartridge. I do not have a valve on the side that goes to the pool from the filter, so I had to stick my arm in the water up to my elbow to take the return eye out and put the plug in the return. The water thermometer read a shade under 50. Brrrr!!! My husband was laughing at me.

Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Jamestown, ND

Re: Cold water!!!

You want to talk about cold. Try up here in ND. Yesterdays high temp was a balmy -17.

Yea you read it correctly. The low yesterday morning was -40.

Now that is cold. My pool has a 4 ft snow drift across my cover that is bending down on top of the ice pond that I call my pool.

At least tomorrow is suppose to be in the twenties. May go outside wearing a t shirt considering how cold its been!
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: