Skimmer install in 18'x48" Intex AGP, what to do with two outputs?

Jun 22, 2015
Decatur, IL
I recently put up an 18'x48" Intex AGP that has two outputs and one return. I tried out the Intex hang on the side skimmer and couldn't get it to work at all. The side frames of my pool are oval and the thing kept slipping off. Also, the skimmer wouldn't stay under the water. Total garbage. So I returned it and bought a through wall skimmer. I didn't even know you could install a skimmer in an Intex pool that didn't come with one installed already until I found this site. Excellent information here!

The question I have is what do I do with the two outputs that came standard in the pool? I thought I could continue to use one and put it on a ball valve and tie it in with the skimmer output. Not sure what to do with the other one though. Anyone have any suggestions? Thought about using the other to tie into a second pump and run it up to the pool for a DIY fountain. Anyone have thoughts on if that was a good/bad idea? Any other thoughts on what to do with the two outputs?

Also, how far away from the two outputs and input should I install the skimmer? Does it even matter?

Any help you guys can give would be most appreciated!

I would just caution anyone wanting to buy the side skimmer to read the Amazon reviews for it. Seems like an aweful lot of people have the same issues with it that I had. Of course, a lot of people had no issues, as well. I like the idea of a through wall skimmer more anyway, now that I know it can be done safely.

Domct203, your skimmer install is where I got the idea to connect the one output with the skimmer drain! I wonder if you can have them both working to pull water from both the middle and top of the water column?
Yes you can, and I do that when I have swimmers stirring up the pool, but I find that I loose a lot of "draw" from the skimmer. For everyday filtering I use just the skimmer, it works great. Much better than that floating type intex skimmer.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.