The more I read, the dumber I feel

That is great that you are seeing this much progress! You are doing a great job!

I will tell you that the last part is the hardest because.........it seems to take FOREVER! LOL The pool will change colors as it gets lighter and lighter and clearer and clearer. Just keep on keeping on and you will be able to read the heads/tails on a coin in the DEEP end!

Kim

Not feeling so dumb now!!!

I went out to get my morning pool sample and I stuck the pool brush in the deep end I could clearly SEE it!!! I'm so excited!!! Will post pictures when I get home today!

I didn't bring my exact numbers to work with me, but I only lost 1.5ppm overnight and I'm FINALLY down to .5 cc!!! Pool math said to add 3 cups of 12.5% to get the numbers back up to SLAM levels, and I added 5 cups because I'm at work all day and don't want the numbers to drop under SLAM level. Was that the right call?

We've had A LOT of rain the last few days, and I've been able to sneakily drain out some pool water while it's and have been adding water back in to lower the CYA. I did the test in full sun yesterday and the CYA is down to 40. Which is a relief because I was having to use A LOT of re-agent to test my very chlorinated water. So now my recommended SLAM level for my CYA is 16.

The really important question here is... can we swim in it? I can see the bottom, but the water is still cloudy - and I lost 1.5 in the OCLT - so I know my SLAM isn't over yet... but I have family coming in tomorrow for the holiday and I'd hate to tell them they have to stay out of the pool. I absolutely will if it's not safe for them (or if having bodies in the pool is going to cause me to backslide on my SLAM) but I'd really love it if we can swim in it.

another question is...I do still have one full day (and night) before they get here, if I can hold the 1ppm loss on my OCLT tonight - how clear does clear need to be for the SLAM to be considered over? Is it crystal clear and sparkly... or just clear enough to see the bottom?

Last question... I really want to add borates and salt to improve the feel and look of the water, do I need to wait until the SLAM is completed to do that?

Thank you all so much for your help! Just knowing that you're out there to offer advice or a sympathetic ear has made this process so much less painful!

The really important answer is, yes! If you can see the bottom and you're able to maintain FC then I wouldn't stop them from swimming. You can swim up to shock level. Even if it slows down the SLAM a little don't fret too much about it. I'd probably test and maintain the SLAM as much as possible even while they're there. Especially each evening.

To pass the OCLT it really should be very clear. I actually recommend that you hold shock level and pass the OCLT two nights in a row before declaring it finished. You don't want to stop early and have to go through this again just because you stopped a day or two early.

I'd wait until you are completely done with the SLAM and have spent some time getting to know how your pool behaves before adding anything else to it. There's plenty of time for that later.

I actually teared up with your really important answer. SO EXCITED!!! And this was all me!!!! (and you guys of course) In the past I've been very passive about letting hubby take control of 'outside' things, but he can be... inconsistent and I really wanted the pool swim ready before 7/4. So I volunteered to take over, but ONLY if he let me do it my way (TFPC method) and not try to step in and make adjustments recommended by the pool store or random strangers. So that fact that we can swim in it, even if it's not DONE DONE yet makes me so happy!

I will definitely keep up the SLAM (and continue to test regularly - I've already gone through 1.5 bottles of R-0871 and will be ordering the XL option when I get home - I'm kind of addicted to testing... is that a thing?) And I was pretty sure the water needed to be CLEAR CLEAR... and I'm afraid it's going to be hard for me to let the FC levels drop anyway... I have a hard time actually trusting my results and sometimes test two (or three or four) times before I believe them. So passing the OCLT a few nights in a row was probably already going to be happening.

Thanks for the advice on the borates and salt. I'm really eager to do everything I can to have THE BEST swimming experience, but totally see the wisdom of your suggestion.

Oh yeah! You are doing! You are close to being done.

Swimming-will you be able to see someone on the bottom? If so than YES let them go swimming!

Yeah it will set you back a tiny bit because your FC needs to just under SLAM level and they will be adding "stuff" to the pool. BUT it will SO worth it!

How clear is clear? In my world it is clear enough to see the heads of the screws in my bottom drain or the heads/tails of a coin.

What will be neat for you is the day you just THOUGHT your pool was clear and it gets even clearer with your awesome care!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.