Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would Borates cause water to most out of roman fountains?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Crown Point, IN

Would Borates cause water to most out of roman fountains?

I have a couple roman fountains on my pool and they came with 3 different heads. My favorite being 6 holes, 1 in middle and 5 around that sprays like a sprinkler fountain into the pool. Up until the addition on borax when they were on they would primarily make it into the pool unless it was windy. Since adding the borax they both started misting and it's enough that it's causing me to lose water. I had them on all day and my water level dropped about 1". I took them apart to clean them and they don't appear to be clogged or dirty so the only thing I can come up with is maybe the borax? I know the addition of the borax made the water feel different so could it cause this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nasantos; 06-25-2015 at 11:31 PM. Reason: I meant MIST not MOST in title
    28K gallon inground vinyl liner, slide, dive board, basketball hoop, pentair pump, heater and de filter, coverstar auto-cover, pentair prowler 830 cleaner. Fill water source is well water high in calcium and iron.

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Would Borates cause water to most out of roman fountains?

The borates lower the surface tension of the water somewhat which is why it makes it sparkle more. Maybe that has a side effect on the fountain causing finer droplets so more misting. It's certainly plausible.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"