Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine eating swimsuit?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine eating swimsuit?

I am using the tfp methods for chemistry control. I maintain fc around 7, pH 7.8 and cya is about 30-40. I am using liquid bleach supplemented by a slow feed of chlorine tablets to help bring up my cya. My wife believes that the liquid bleach I am adding is causing her swimsuits to deteriorate. I am wondering if the bleach is really the cause or is there some other factor at play.
    21,000 gal In Ground Plaster pool; Nautilus FNS 60 DE filter; WhisperFlo WFE-6 pump; Polaris booster pump and pool cleaner;Rainbow Lifegard HiFlow Chlorine Feeder (not in use); Purex Triton pool light;Hatteras spa light; Intermatic model PF122T Freeze Sentry pump controller; Sta-Rite U-3 Skimmer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine eating swimsuit?

I maintain a FC around 8. I've never had a problem with my swimsuits.
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

That shouldn't be an issue at all. Would she feel better if you used liquid chlorine instead? Or is there really a problem with swimsuit deterioration? You could add salt 1000-2000 ppm and/or 50ppm of borates for better water feel. That might help.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

what test kit are you using
    if those figures are from a reliable test kit then it wont be the pool damaging her swimsuit
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Thousands upon thousands of pools are managed using TFP methods and NOT ONE has reported a faded swimsuit to my knowledge.

Does your wife use Clorox in the laundry? That's about 250-300 ppm with no CYA buffer
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Your FC level is higher than usually recommended for your CYA level, but it's not horribly high. As for swimsuits, my wife had degrading swimsuits (elasticity gets shot) every winter season when she used an indoor commercial pool that had 1-2 ppm FC with no CYA. In our own outdoor pool with 3-6 ppm FC with 30-40 ppm CYA, her swimsuits would last for 7 years. So if you really had CYA in your pool, then you should not have seen problems with swimsuits. That said, your active chlorine levels are quite a bit higher than the minimum. Being in Texas, you probably want your CYA to be at least 50 ppm if your pool is exposed to sunlight. A 4 to 7 ppm FC would then work well at that CYA level.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

tested today
    fc 2
    ph 8
    cya 40
    working on bringing the cya up.
    we don't normally use liquid bleach in the wash, and her swimsuit hardly ever gets washed. mostly just air dry after swimming. any ideas on what else may be causing the deterioration?
    21,000 gal In Ground Plaster pool; Nautilus FNS 60 DE filter; WhisperFlo WFE-6 pump; Polaris booster pump and pool cleaner;Rainbow Lifegard HiFlow Chlorine Feeder (not in use); Purex Triton pool light;Hatteras spa light; Intermatic model PF122T Freeze Sentry pump controller; Sta-Rite U-3 Skimmer.

8. Back To Top    #8

Uv rays
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

9. Back To Top    #9

Ive had my swim trunks for years and they have always looked brand new until this year they started fading some only because this year when I get out I throw them on the porch rail to let them dry and that is where they have stayed this whole season. I know it is the UV rays doing it. Just be wary of the earwigs!!!!
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by crusemm View Post
    My wife believes that the liquid bleach I am adding is causing her swimsuits to deteriorate.
    Very interesting! Check back with you later, need to buy more bleach.
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir