Still cannot keep bromine up :(

Jun 18, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
OK, I recently cleaned my spa with Ahh-Some and drained and refilled. I got my pH to 7.6 and alk at 60 and CH at 110. I put 5 oz of Broma-Start in and then 3 oz of bleach to oxidize and then put my bromine tabs in my floater opened up. According to the bromine sticky, that should have taken it up to 10 ppm. I tested 15 minutes later and it was 3.75. I then tested an hour later and it was 2.5. I put 6 oz of bleach in to try to get it to 12 (something Chem Geek told me to do when I was trying to get my bromine to stay up before I ended up draining) and after 40 minutes it was only up to 5. This was all in the evening with no sun on the water. I have no clue what to do next. I'm afraid it will be zero in the morning.

If your ozonator is working and you have enough bromide in the water from Broma-Start, then it should be making bromine from the bromide. Also, the tabs should be adding bromine. You've still got an unusually high bromine demand, BUT...

The bromine sticky cannot say that bromine tabs in the floater would get the bromine up to 10 ppm. Bromine tabs too slowly to know what they will do in the short term. 3 ounces of bleach in 1000 gallons is only 2 ppm FC or 4.5 ppm bromine, NOT 10 ppm. The bromine sticky sounds like it is assuming a 350 gallon or so spa, but yours is 1000 gallons. You need to use PoolMath to calculate proper dosages.

OK, maybe I did something wrong. I have been working today and have not had the chance to test it to see how it held the bromine overnight.

I will go back to my original post. I was told by someone in a private message to stop starting new threads. I was just trying to get more replies last night as my old post title had nothing to do with my problem last night.

Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.