First SLAM -questions about chl loss and the difference between dead and living algae

May 30, 2015
Southern Illinois
I had a slight algae problem, I felt slimy surfaces in a few cracks. I began my slam and have used a huge amount of chlorine.

My levels upon starting were:
6-23
FC -7.4
CC .4
CYA-30
TA - 110
PH - 7.4
CH - 60

My first overnight test I went from 22.5 FC to 14.5FC in the morning. Last night I went from 27FC to 23FC in the morning. Today I am having huge drops each time I test. I have used 14 gallons since I started this two days ago. Is this a normal amount for a SLAM? It seems excessive and just curious as to what is considered normal losses with a CYA level of 30-40 in a sunny location.

My second question is, how do I know if it is dead algae or alive algae? I haven't felt anything slimy or slippery since I began, but there is what looks just like dirt and debris in a few cracks and crevasses each day. It does disappear into a cloud if I stir it up but I've heard that dead and alive algae both do this. Does anyone have pictures of the two? Any surefire way to tell the difference? When vacuuming it should I do it through the filter or to waste? I backwash often and especially after vacuuming.

Its not unusual to go through significant amounts of chlorine during a slam. Check the ladder for hidden algae. There tend to be a lot of nooks and crannies under the steps where algae hides. Also double check your CYA level and make sure you are not losing too much FC to sunlight.

Dead algae will be grayish in color, and living algae is a brighter green. If there is alot of it vacuum to waste, otherwise you should be able to vacuum it to the filter.

Yep, you are making some good progress. Keep testing and adding back to shock level several times per day. Brush and hu t for hidden algae and scrub it to expose it to the chlorine. Sounds like dead algae to me. Keep killing it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.