Questions about starting a new pool maintenance business

CARROLL

In The Industry
Jun 18, 2015
FREDERICKSBURG
This is for all who have or have had a pool maintenance business. I have been repairing pools and spas for about 8 yrs. While at jobs, customers have asked if we clean and maintain pools , which we did not. Recently i decided to start a side business opening, cleaning and maintaining pools for the customers who asked . I realized i had no idea what to charge or how often to service the pools and what duties to provide . Anyone who has or is in this business who can provide me with guidance and or answer these questions , i will be forever grateful . Also any tips on procedures , supplies test kits tools or anything else which may help me do a good job for my customers will be appreciated. So far i have completed 5 jobs . the 1st. required me to open an in-ground 20x40 with 8' deep end which was totally green with 3'-4' of mud and leaves in the bottom along with 4 solid bags of sacrete and 7-8cinder blocks which had been holding down his winter cover which he had dropped in the pool while removing the cover . This took me a week of blindly dipping out with a leaf net and another week to finally clear the water. I lost my shirt on that but gained experience. The next , another swamp, took me 4 days of dipping much organic material and shocking ending with cloudy water . It took me another day to figure out the sand filter had runnels through which the water was by passing the filter. Once i changed the sand and repaired a couple of the laterals the pool cleared up nicely. Again i lost money , but learned a little more. the next three went better but as you see i need guidance if this is to be a successful venture . So all you knowledgeable folks out there ----HELP.
Carroll

Hello Carroll! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about pool business. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. The recent server issue has impacted our replies a bit. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Welcome to TFP Carroll!

We are mostly about owners helping owners, but there is plenty of good information here along with some very knowledgeable people. Stick around, and there will be lots of people to discuss things with, as we obviously love talking pools. :D

I have to ask.....what in the world were bags of sack-crete doing in that pool!!??? :hammer:

The owner had used them as weights to hold down the large tarp he had as a winter cover and when he removed the tarp he dragged all that stuff into the pool . When i took the job he said there were just a few leaves on the bottom of the deep end which i was unable to see because the water was green and opaque . He had just sold the house and was leaving for Fla. When i finished the pool , i saw neither him nor his money. Win some - lose some !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.