Need advice to get pH down

Jun 18, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
(Chem Geek, I thought I would start a new thread here to get away from my old one.) I recently had to clean and drain my spa for the second time since I got it a mere 3 weeks ago. I cleaned with Ahh-Some this time and refilled. My starting pH last night looked to be over 8 and alk was 70. I added the PoolMath recommended amount of pH/alk down. This morning, pH was still at 8 and alk at 70. I again added the recommended amount of pH/alk down. Waited over 9 hours till this evening and pH is still 8 and alk is now 60. I have ordered some boric acid and it is not here yet, but Chem Geek said to get my pH stable first. Should I continue putting the pH down stuff in it hoping it will work? I have not even started the bromine yet as I am trying to get the pH down. Thanks!

I use Muriatic Acid to lower my PH in my pool. I am sure it will also work for a spa.

Use pool math to see how much to add.

Make sure you get the good stuff 31% Be VERY careful putting it in. The fumes are bad stuff.

Kim

I use Muriatic Acid to lower my PH in my pool. I am sure it will also work for a spa.

Use pool math to see how much to add.

Make sure you get the good stuff 31% Be VERY careful putting it in. The fumes are bad stuff.

Kim

Thank you for your response. I have been using sodium bisulfate. It's just what the spa place gave us in our start-up package. Nobody ever told us to dissolve in water first, but I have read in several places I should be doing that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
momof3boys, according to your manual you should not use bromine since you have an Eco-Pure filter.

I service a spa similar to yours (mineral cartridge and ozone gen, different mfgr and about 1/3 capacity). It took awhile but I found the trick is to shock weekly with about an ounce of Dichlor granules poured slowly into the filter compartment when the spa is running full speed and let it run with the cover off for at least 15 minutes.

I use only spa chemicals to maintain the pH. It gets heavy use with their children but the water is crystal clear. I also instruct the homeowner, as per their owner's manual, to run the spa full speed and add 1 table spoon of dichlor 10 minutes before use with the cover off. Whether they do this or not I don't know since I'm not there.

BTW, the manual of that particular spa that I maintain specifically states "do not use muriatic acid to lower pH." I use sodium bisulfate and it is very effective. While M/A will lower pH I believe M/A and possibly bromine too will damage the Eco-Pure filter. Once that happens you effectively remove that portion of the sanitizing system. Don't ask me how I know.

Other spas that do not employ a mineral cartridge are effectively sanitized by bromine.

The above is based upon my experience. Others may chime in with different findings. Good luck. I'm sure you will get a handle on it.

momof3boys, according to your manual you should not use bromine since you have an Eco-Pure filter.

I service a spa similar to yours (mineral cartridge and ozone gen, different mfgr and about 1/3 capacity). It took awhile but I found the trick is to shock weekly with about an ounce of Dichlor granules poured slowly into the filter compartment when the spa is running full speed and let it run with the cover off for at least 15 minutes.

I use only spa chemicals to maintain the pH. It gets heavy use with their children but the water is crystal clear. I also instruct the homeowner, as per their owner's manual, to run the spa full speed and add 1 table spoon of dichlor 10 minutes before use with the cover off. Whether they do this or not I don't know since I'm not there.

BTW, the manual of that particular spa that I maintain specifically states "do not use muriatic acid to lower pH." I use sodium bisulfate and it is very effective. While M/A will lower pH I believe M/A and possibly bromine too will damage the Eco-Pure filter. Once that happens you effectively remove that portion of the sanitizing system. Don't ask me how I know.

Other spas that do not employ a mineral cartridge are effectively sanitized by bromine.

The above is based upon my experience. Others may chime in with different findings. Good luck. I'm sure you will get a handle on it.

I had no clue. The spa guy I bought it from is the one that suggested changing to bromine since we were having problems with chlorine. Of course, the chlorine problems were mainly because it had biofilm I assume from the factory and then the spa guy told me to only use chlorine once a week and "ignore the strips" and then things got worse. I have seen nothing in the manual about adding dichlor ever, but it definitely does not tell me to add anything before use.

I was finally able to get my pH down to 7.6 and it has stayed there. I will check it again today. I just received the boric acid in the mail yesterday and was planning to add that today.

Chem Geek was trying to help me through my issues and I finally ended up having to use Ahh-Some and drain and start over. The first time I drained, I used Swirl Away, but I have since found out that is useless.

Thank you for your information. I guess I have more research to do. I certainly do not want to ruin anything. I know I have read the manual they gave me cover to cover, but I also know it's the wrong one for my model because my husband found a newer one online that I then had to read. So frustrated with the spa store!

There is no problem using Muriatic Acid in a spa if one adds it slowly with circulation. The result in the water is lowering the pH the same as with dry acid (sodium bisulfate) except that you get leftover chloride salt instead of sulfate salt. One can certainly use dry acid if one wants to since it doesn't fume though one can use half-strength Muriatic Acid that fumes less than full-strength.

As for bromine and the Eco-Pure filter, that may be and I don't know anything about that. Some types of mineral cartridges do not work with bromine. Nature2 for example. The reason is that they require a stronger oxidizer such as chlorine to continue to release minerals from the cartridge. The reason bromine is being used for this spa is that it should not require daily dosing the way chlorine would. I don't think the filter or cartridge will be "ruined", but rather that the minerals will not get dissolved into the water if you use bromine and the cartridge is not designed to be used with bromine.

This manual is for the 2014 model (you can look up one for your year online) and it does say "Note: Bromine use is not recommended with Eco Pur filters." For chlorine it says "Only one type of chlorine is approved for swim spa use: Sodium dichlor which is granular, fast dissolving, and PH neutral chlorine." However, that is because they do not want to explain how you can use bleach safely -- by having CYA in the water first and by having additional pH buffering to prevent the pH rising too much.

There is no problem using Muriatic Acid in a spa if one adds it slowly with circulation. The result in the water is lowering the pH the same as with dry acid (sodium bisulfate) except that you get leftover chloride salt instead of sulfate salt. One can certainly use dry acid if one wants to since it doesn't fume though one can use half-strength Muriatic Acid that fumes less than full-strength.

As for bromine and the Eco-Pure filter, that may be and I don't know anything about that. Some types of mineral cartridges do not work with bromine. Nature2 for example. The reason is that they require a stronger oxidizer such as chlorine to continue to release minerals from the cartridge. The reason bromine is being used for this spa is that it should not require daily dosing the way chlorine would. I don't think the filter or cartridge will be "ruined", but rather that the minerals will not get dissolved into the water if you use bromine and the cartridge is not designed to be used with bromine.

This manual is for the 2014 model (you can look up one for your year online) and it does say "Note: Bromine use is not recommended with Eco Pur filters." For chlorine it says "Only one type of chlorine is approved for swim spa use: Sodium dichlor which is granular, fast dissolving, and PH neutral chlorine." However, that is because they do not want to explain how you can use bleach safely -- by having CYA in the water first and by having additional pH buffering to prevent the pH rising too much.

Thank you for the information. I think we will just stick with bromine for now since we finally seem to have things under control. I would assume there would be another filter option if we didn't want the Eco-Pur one too.

I would skip talking to the spa store about water maintenance, they are not going to be any better than the pool store. All,it will do is cause frustration and water problems.

You seem like you want to use bromine, so follow this tutorial
How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?

if you ever want to switch to chlorine then follow this one
How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

i have been using bleach in my hot tub for 18 months following this process and it is great, we use it 4-5 times per week and even more in fall, winter and spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.