Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Combined chlorine too low

1. Back To Top    #1

Combined chlorine too low

Hi

Just getting started here, I actually entered my pool for the first time today, it was great.
    Question about chlorine. I tested with taylor K-2006.
    It says my free chlorine is 1.8ppm and my combined chlorine is only 0.4ppm. I use costco clorox tablets. They seem to take time to disolve, I got 2 tablets in the dispenser. Will that combined chlorine level go up eventually? What ppm does combined chlorine has to be?

Thxs

Pat
    12' AG, 3200GA, cartridge filter, pool installed 6/20/2015, Taylor K-2006 test kit,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Combined chlorine too low

Pat! CC is BAD! You do not want ANY Combined Chlorine!

I see you say you are using a Taylor K-2006 BUT how did you get a FC of 1.8ppm and CC 0.4 ppm?

The CC is the used up FC.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

CC-.5 or less. You don't want it to be high.

Post full set of test results please.
    FC
    Cc
    CYA
    PH
    TA
    CH
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Ideally you want your CC to be 0.0ppm, but <1.0ppm is good.

What you really need to watch is your FC, and without knowing anything else about your pool I would warn you it is too low at <2ppm.

I see you are using the 25ml sample for a resolution of 0.2ppm. You will be fine using the 10ml sample with a resolution of 0.5ppm, that's close enough for TFPC.

What at is missing here is your CYA level, which is what dictates your FC level.

Please se post a full set of test results for FC, CC, CYA, pH & TA so we can better understand your pool.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

FC is probably low, depending on your CYA level. Set your chlorine level based on CYA level, keep it at target at all times and never let it drop below minimum or algae will grow and the pool will not be properly sanitized. Here is the Chlorine CYA Chart

Here are your target levels
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...mmended-levels

Here are the pool chemicals and how to add them
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals

Use http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ool-calculator to calculate how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey Pat, Welcome to TFP!

Take a look at PoolSchool as soon as you can and begin with the ABCs. Free Chlorine is the one you are concerned with first, as it's the one that does the work. CC is the result of FC getting used up, so as mentioned, you don't want a high level of it. Work your way through Pool School, and ask all the questions you need too here. Enjoy your time on the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok here are some pool numbers I just took:

PH 7.0:
    -Ph was actually acid but I added 2 lbs of baking soda and it's up. I will add more tomorrow as I think it needs to be higher.

FC: 5.4ppm
    -I know it's too high. We use Clorox tablets and we had 2 in the dispenser and it tested at 1.8ppm. So we added 2 tablets for a total of 4 and now it's too high.

CC: 0.4ppm
    -This is unchanged since last test. I don't know how to get it to zero.

Cyanuric acid 0ppm
    -I have the Clorox stabilizer bottle but I am clueless about how much to add and how much ppm is my goal.
    I haven't added any

TA: 170ppm
    -Not sure of my goal TA

Thanks

Patrick
    12' AG, 3200GA, cartridge filter, pool installed 6/20/2015, Taylor K-2006 test kit,

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Poolmath at the top of the page will tell you how much to add of whatever it is you are looking at.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Please don't add anymore baking soda. That is for raising the TA, not pH. Your TA is high enough, too high really.
    You need to read through pool school a few more times before you add anything else.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

Look at the link below. Print it out and circle the set that applies to your pool.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Use pool math to see what you need to add and how much.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Here is a good link to tell you what to do and add for each area of your water.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Your FC is fine.
    pH is a little low. Adjust up to 7.2 is what I have read around here.
    Your CYA is low but we are going to target 30 so FC around 4-6 is correct.
    For your 3200 gal pool. Using poolmath looking at the CYA line with Now set to 0, Target set to 30. It says 13 ozs of granulated. Put it in an old sock and hang it in front of the return. Give it a squeeze once in a while. Test for it again in a week.

FC and sunlight remove CC. That's all there is to it.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok thanks for the answers.
    I will add Borax and stabilizer today according to pool math.

Thxs

Pat