Old pool - New caretaker

Jun 19, 2015
medford oregon
Just performed the first test using the tf100 kit. I got here because the water has become cloudy and won't clear. The test results were:
FC- 5.5
PH - 7.2
CC - .5
CH - 400
TA - 150
CYA - 100

I assume these TA and CYA results were caused by too much shock, Algaecide, and trichlor while trying to clear up a problem after a spring storm. In any event my question is; am I correct in assuming that the best thing to do at this point would be to empty about half the water and then refill to get the TA and CYA back to normal range? I will be following your liquid chlorine methods from here on out. Thank you

Welcome to TFP.

The big problem is that 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so,you could be 100 or almost any number above that. A 50% drain refill would yield 50 IF the CYA is actually 100. With manual chlorination and vein in OR, I would think the ultimate goal would probably be in the 40 - 50 range unless you tell me your pool is in blazing sun all day long.

Depending on your fill water, the drain/refill may or may not help the TA, but I would not make it a priority at this point.

You need to get that FC up to account for the high CYA. For now I would target something in the 15 - 20 range to make sure the pool doesn't go green on top of being cloudy. You will eventually have to SLAM, but that will be after you get the CYA down.

Welcome!

The TA can depend on your city water too. When I tested mine it was 180, so you may not gain a bunch there. You still may have to resort to the muriatic acid/aeration trick. I wouldn't totally get worked up about the TA yet. You can fix that down the road. All the TA means is that your pH will drift high and you'll have to keep it in check with some MA doses and that may not be too bad. Then in time if it gets annoying deal with lowering TA.

Your CYA on the other hand needs to be brought in check so you can properly SLAM your pool to deal with the cloudiness. The only real way to deal with the CYA is a drain and fill. Maybe multiple...

Good luck!

You are SO on the right track!

-A good test kit-the best one!

-knowing what to do--------have you been reading ahead?? Good job!

Now how about using pool math for me. Lets pretend that your CYA is 100 (it might be higher). How much water does Pool Math say to drain?

Here is the link to Pool Math.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Kim
Yes, I have read ahead because I suspected the CYA was the cause of the cloudiness problem. Pool Math says to drain 50%.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have read ahead because I suspected the CYA was the cause of the cloudiness problem. Pool Math says to drain 50%.

You have some choices to make:

-old pool-kind of worried about plaster if you take too much water at one time. The sun could cause problems. So lower it a little bit at a time. It will take longer but may be safer for you plaster.

-drain it FAST at night-rented sub pump- and pay for water to be trucked in that morning-could be costly $$

Just some things to think about.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.