Ta levels raising

Jun 13, 2015
Clinton, Utah
Hi! So, we have had our pool for a few weeks now, and so far, I have managed to keep it nice and clean with no big issues!:)
We have an ABG 16'x48" Coleman pool with a basic paper filter pump and a SWG. It took us a bit to get the SWG running long enough to keep the chlorine levels up, but 5 hours seems to the the magic number!
Now though, my TA levels seem to be getting higher and now my PH is rising and I don't know what to do!!:(
These are what my test results from last night were:

FC- 3.5
CC- .5 (is this concerning?)
PH- 7.8
TA- 190
CYA- 60 *I THINK*
The CYA is tricky for me...should I be filling the tube until I can absolutely not see the black dot anymore or stop when I basically can't see it anymore lol?! I mean, if I look really hard I can still see that darn black dot![emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the CYA test the dot should be completely gone.
A SWG causes aeration which will generally cause the pH to rise ... you just have to lower it and keep it in the 7s with muriatic acid.
The TA should not really be rising unless you are adding water with higher TA levels or adding baking soda.
High TA is really nothing to worry about, although it will tend to make the pH rise a little faster. If you keep the pH in the 7s, then you can nearly ignore the TA.

If you've been adding "hard" water, that will drive TA up, which in turn will drive pH up. Test the tap water and see what it adds. Also, there is a known problem with static electricity on the tip of the R-009 reagent bottle. It makes the drops smaller and thus you read falsely high. Just wipe the tip with a damp paper towel between drops the next few times you run the test and it should go away.

On the CYA test, dribble the stuff in and when it looks gone, look away a second. It could be one of those optical illusion things. Repeat the test ten or twenty times pouring it back and forth if you have to. When you get three in a row that are with 5 of each other, there's your number.

I tested again today...I thought we were finally there with the SWG, but my chlorine levels just keep dropping! I will grab some
Mutating acid in the morning. I bought the pump so I wouldn't have to use so much bleach all the time. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.