Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ta levels raising

1. Back To Top    #1

Ta levels raising

Hi! So, we have had our pool for a few weeks now, and so far, I have managed to keep it nice and clean with no big issues!
    We have an ABG 16'x48" Coleman pool with a basic paper filter pump and a SWG. It took us a bit to get the SWG running long enough to keep the chlorine levels up, but 5 hours seems to the the magic number!
    Now though, my TA levels seem to be getting higher and now my PH is rising and I don't know what to do!!
    These are what my test results from last night were:

FC- 3.5
    CC- .5 (is this concerning?)
    PH- 7.8
    TA- 190
    CYA- 60 *I THINK*
    The CYA is tricky for me...should I be filling the tube until I can absolutely not see the black dot anymore or stop when I basically can't see it anymore lol?! I mean, if I look really hard I can still see that darn black dot!

Coleman 16'x48" AGP, Pump is what came with the pool 1,000 gallon pump I believe with Cartridge, SWG Intex brand Krystal Clear
    First Year Pool Owners

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ta levels raising

For the CYA test the dot should be completely gone.
    A SWG causes aeration which will generally cause the pH to rise ... you just have to lower it and keep it in the 7s with muriatic acid.
    The TA should not really be rising unless you are adding water with higher TA levels or adding baking soda.
    High TA is really nothing to worry about, although it will tend to make the pH rise a little faster. If you keep the pH in the 7s, then you can nearly ignore the TA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you've been adding "hard" water, that will drive TA up, which in turn will drive pH up. Test the tap water and see what it adds. Also, there is a known problem with static electricity on the tip of the R-009 reagent bottle. It makes the drops smaller and thus you read falsely high. Just wipe the tip with a damp paper towel between drops the next few times you run the test and it should go away.

On the CYA test, dribble the stuff in and when it looks gone, look away a second. It could be one of those optical illusion things. Repeat the test ten or twenty times pouring it back and forth if you have to. When you get three in a row that are with 5 of each other, there's your number.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I tested again today...I thought we were finally there with the SWG, but my chlorine levels just keep dropping! I will grab some
    Mutating acid in the morning. I bought the pump so I wouldn't have to use so much bleach all the time.

Coleman 16'x48" AGP, Pump is what came with the pool 1,000 gallon pump I believe with Cartridge, SWG Intex brand Krystal Clear
    First Year Pool Owners