Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Circulating Water With Empty Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Taunton, MA

Circulating Water With Empty Filter

I had a crack in my sand filter standpipe (the spider part that connects the standpipe to the laterals) and I'm currently waiting for a replacement, which is supposed to arrive on Monday. Since I discovered the problem last weekend, my filter has been empty and disconnected and the pump not running. I would like to at least circulate the water through the filter/pump while I'm waiting for the part so the pool water isn't stagnant. My question is can I hook the filter back up without sand or the standpipe/lateral assembly and set it to recirculate (whirlpool on my filter) without damaging the filter or pump? If I understand correctly, this setting bypasses the actual filter and just sends the water through the multi-valve, but please correct me if that's not correct.

I could connect the return directly to the pump return, but that would require disconnecting a couple of hoses that are tightly and/or permanently connected. Then having to redo all the connections later.
    11,800 gal AG vinyl, Laser 190L 200lb sand filter, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Wildomar, California

Re: Circulating Water With Empty Filter

Yes, the record setting on your sand filter valve is meant to bypass the sand and go directly back to the pool. So the water bypasses the sand in the filter. You'll get flow but no filtration.