Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bonding a Fence

1. Back To Top    #1

Bonding a Fence

My pool build was completed about two months ago. We just recently added a fence around the pool though so I want to bond it to the pool since in a few areas, it is closer than 5'. I was thinking of just connecting it to the wire that is coming out of my deck and goes to the pool equipment. There is one area of the fence that has a gate but that is just on my patio and is more than 5' from the pool. That part of the fence is disconnected from the rest by some columns on my patio so there is just one continuous section of the fence that is closer than 5'. What I am unsure of is what pieces I need to properly bond the fence. I did pick up some #8 copper wire and was going to use the following two items to attach the wire.

Use this to connect the wire that is already running to the pool equipment:
    http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...82&cId=compare

Use this to connect the wire to the fence:
    http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...14&cId=compare
    Is this the right thing to use to clamp to the fence? Does it need to be copper or does it not matter?

Am I on the right track? I can provide pics if that will make things clearer.
    21k gallon IG free form plaster/pebble pool, pentair FNS Plus DE filter, pentair sta-rite 2hp pump, pentair booster pump, pentair rainbow 320 IC and paramount ultraUV, Pool Build - 2015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bonding a Fence

Its funny you ask this - i just watched this video this morning because I too have a few bonding questions - I am not doing the electrical work on my install but I do like to understand what requirements are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7r1UyuIgss
    According to this video (I dont remember at exactly what point they say it) they talk about not bonding things like a fence because they are not connected to anything electrical. Therefore not giving them a chance to be a part of the circuit.
    Maybe I didnt hear it the way it was meant but you may not need to bond the fence. The 5ft rule may apply though - I am not an electrician but figured I would share

3. Back To Top    #3

https://youtu.be/j7r1UyuIgss?t=8m47s thats the starting point of what I am referred to

4. Back To Top    #4

Code for my area says anything metal within 5' of the pool should be bonded. I've already passed final inspection for the pool which was done before we planned to build the fence even but still think it would be a good idea.
    21k gallon IG free form plaster/pebble pool, pentair FNS Plus DE filter, pentair sta-rite 2hp pump, pentair booster pump, pentair rainbow 320 IC and paramount ultraUV, Pool Build - 2015

5. Back To Top    #5

yeah just watched the clip i sent again - it does need to be bonded. Funny how they argue a good point though.

6. Back To Top    #6

Assuming your fence is metal and is within five feet of the inside wall of the pool it needs to be bonded. The two items you show from Lowes should work to splice and attach to the fence. They are both UL Listed.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Remember, use #8 solid copper wire for the bonding. It may be overkill, but if it were my yard is would probably put a clamp on every fence post and run the wire along the bottom bonding each one. You really cant be assured that the connections between one post and the fence is enough to properly bring the entire fence to the same potential as all the other parts.
    Last edited by tim5055; 06-25-2015 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Darn iPad autocorrect
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree with Tim wherever the fence is within grabbing distance of the pool connect as many posts as possible.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall