Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Best solar cover

What's the most efficient solar cover for 12 x 24 oval salt pool in terms of heat retention and production? 12 or 16 mil? Weight shouldn't be a major factor with this size pool) Clear or blue? Blue/gold?
    8000 gal. 12x24 semi-inground AquaWood, 1HP Zodiac 240v in-ground pump, Pentair Tagelus TA40 Sand Filter, CompuPool 16 SWG, Hayward 150k Cupro-nickel NG heater, Pool RoverT Jr. cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best solar cover

The best solar cover is one you will actually use. The thicker the cover, the heavier it is and the less likely you will use it. I have not found a significant difference in cover life with the thicker covers so my preference now is to go with a lighter cover. Current I am using a 5 mil cover and it is very easy to take on and off.

As for color, I haven't found much of a difference in heat gain although I have only tried blue and clear. Theoretically, clear will allow more sun light directly into the pool (and radiation out of the pool) but that doesn't mean water temperature will be higher. The colored covers heat by conduction and re-radiation and seem to allow heating of the pool fairly effectively as well.

The biggest factor in a solar cover is simply covering the pool. Everything else is secondary.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Best solar cover

after reading a bunch of the posts here I settled on an 8 mil blue cover.

It really keeps the heat in let me tell you.

Also on a sunny day when I pull the cover off, the top 1-2 feet of water is VERY warm so I redirect my
    jets sometimes to blow right into it for distribution.

anything bigger than 8 mil will likely require 2 people to help with it.

- - - Updated - - -

after reading a bunch of the posts here I settled on an 8 mil blue cover.

It really keeps the heat in let me tell you.

Also on a sunny day when I pull the cover off, the top 1-2 feet of water is VERY warm so I redirect my
    jets sometimes to blow right into it for distribution.

anything bigger than 8 mil will likely require 2 people to help with it.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.