Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA...Follow the manual or follow the site?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA...Follow the manual or follow the site?

Confused. I just got an Intex SWG and reading the manual, the ideal water parameters are different than what I see recommended on here. In the manual it say 20-40ppm is ideal and 50ppm is the max. On the site I keep seeing 70-80ppm. Which should I go with?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA...Follow the manual or follow the site?

Not sure why my signature isn't working...

*It seems to be working now...just not in the first post...lol
    Intex 15'x48" round pool (4,400g), Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 2800 gph, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O.,

3. Back To Top    #3

It really comes down to whose advice you want to follow. But the problem is that there are multiple sources trying to give you advice on levels. The manufacturers are all over the board, stop by pool stores and every one of them will tell you something different. You have to be comfortable in your decision and the path you want ot follow.

To quote Dave, Site Owner of TFP:
    Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide.

You may or may not choose to use these methods and guidelines or you may use some and not others. Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool runs best with CYA at 70. Others will say the same. The advice on this site works time and time again.
    18 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    2500 gph cartridge filter
    Intex SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

A lower CYA level will have the chlorine breakdown from the UV in sunlight faster so you'll need a higher % ontime and that will wear out the SWG cell faster. Most SWG manufacturers recommend 60-80 with "70-80" being best. It's unusual for an SWG manufacturer to recommend a low CYA level, but apparently Intex is doing so. If your SWG is able to keep up during the day with the lower CYA level, then the only downside is your shorter SWG cell life. Just make sure you follow the Chloirne / CYA Chart.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool was a mess before I discovered TFP. My problem was that I listened to my local pool store experts and ended up with a cloudy pool with chemical levels all over the place, and a very high CYA level.

After going to pool school, and through gradual water replacement, my CYA is the low side. But I'm bringing it up a little at a time with Trichlor to find that ideal level, which should be around 70 for me. With current CYA <20, I'm having to add more bleach than I would with a higher CYA.

Invest the time in TFP, it's well worth the effort.

10,000 gallon / fiberglass / IG pool
    Pentair Nautilus FNS24 D.E. Filter
    Hayward 3/4HP pump
    Build/Install date: June 2003
    Polaris 360