Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone in the SW Having Difficulty Holding Chlorine in this Brutal Heat?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone in the SW Having Difficulty Holding Chlorine in this Brutal Heat?

It's been averaging 110+ the past couple weeks in AZ and my pool can't hold chlorine for more than 2 days. I'm hoping some other folks from AZ or in the SW can give me their experience thus far this summer. I'm literally dumping 5-6 gallons of 10% HASA liquid chlorine every week.

Current reading after pouring 2 gallons in earlier tonight:

CYA: 40-45 (reading taken at approximately 5pm)
    FC: 5
    PH: 8.0
    Alkalinity: 120
    CC: 0

I'm confident my FC will drop to 3 within the next 24 hours necessitating more gallons of liquid chlorine. Is this rate of dissipation normal for really hot weather and my size pool? Thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.
    28k gallon in-ground pebbletec pool w/waterfall and grotto feature
    Triton II sand filter
    "The Pool Cleaner" 4-wheel vacuum
    1.5hp main pump; 1.5hp water feature pump
    Taylor K2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone in the SW Having Difficulty Holding Chlorine in this Brutal Heat?

I'm in Georgia and we're having the same problem. It's averaging 97-100 degrees the past several days and I'm having to add a gallon of 8.25 bleach every evening. The pool looks great and the chlorine holds overnight but by 5:00 in the afternoon it's depleted so I'm pretty sure it's the sun and heat.
    24ft above ground - 13,500 gallons. Hayward 1.5hp pump with sand filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Its fairly normal for a pool to consume 3-4ppm per day in FC in extremely hot weather like that. So, depending on how many ppm per week is will deteremine the gallsons of chlorine. And with a 28K gallon pool, that might be expected. You can use pool math to figure out the gallonage to ppm and make a determination.

If you bumped up your CYA by 10, it would help a little.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep here in Georgia we are burning through chlorine too.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Same problem here in Baton Rouge, LA
    25K gal vinyl liner built 2012, 18x36 IG, deep end, Pentair 1.5 HP single speed pump, Pentair Tagelus 325lb sand filter, Kreepy Krauly Legend auto cleaner, inline chlorinator, one skimmer basket, 2 main drains, 4 return jets, 2 water sprinklers, newly acquired Taylor K-2006, sample sizer and speed stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

This is why some people in very sunny hot climates target a higher CYA level. As for expecting to lose only 2 ppm FC over 24 hours, that's low, not high. Most pools lose between 2 and 3 ppm FC over 24 hours. Some in hot sunny areas lose more, around 4 ppm, though that can be lessened by having a higher CYA level. Though the normal CYA range in a manually dosed pool goes up to 50 ppm, one can go higher than that (up to 80 ppm) depending on their situation. The only downside to the higher CYA level is if you need to SLAM for any reason it takes more chlorine.

Note that even though you target a proportionally higher FC level at higher CYA levels, you actually lose less absolute FC per 24 hours. This is because of a CYA shielding effect.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep...I had to crank the salt cell up to 75% just to maintain throughout the day.
    -25,000 gal. freeform gunite, smooth quartz finish w/ spa
    -2 hp Jandy Pro Series Stealth; Jandy Pro Series Cartridge Filter (CV340)
    -Jandy Pro Series AquaPure Chlorinator; Jandy Pro Series JXi Heater
    -Zodiac MX8 cleaner; Taylor K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

What is the most effective and easiest method for increasing my CYA?
    28k gallon in-ground pebbletec pool w/waterfall and grotto feature
    Triton II sand filter
    "The Pool Cleaner" 4-wheel vacuum
    1.5hp main pump; 1.5hp water feature pump
    Taylor K2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Anyone in the SW Having Difficulty Holding Chlorine in this Brutal Heat?

Liquid or granulated stabilizer. Liquid is more expensive but quicker and granulated is less expensive but takes longer.

-25,000 gal. freeform gunite, smooth quartz finish w/ spa
    -2 hp Jandy Pro Series Stealth; Jandy Pro Series Cartridge Filter (CV340)
    -Jandy Pro Series AquaPure Chlorinator; Jandy Pro Series JXi Heater
    -Zodiac MX8 cleaner; Taylor K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I live in the'Valley of the Sun' Arizona, yes has been hot for the past couple of weeks....I have a very high CYA (too high will drain this winter), I usually keep a high FC of 11-15 and still lose 2 -3 FC daily.
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

11. Back To Top    #11

What is your CYA level? With the 11 ppm FC on the low side your CYA level shouldn't be more than 150 ppm. Is that what it is? So interesting still losing 2-3 daily, but you are in a particularly sunny environment. Also, what is your pH level? There is higher chlorine loss at higher pH.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Chem geek....is the 150 for their CYA a typo or is Pebbtech different? Anyway I'm in Al and had to raise mine from 40-50. It's holding better.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    What is your CYA level? With the 11 ppm FC on the low side your CYA level shouldn't be more than 150 ppm. Is that what it is? So interesting still losing 2-3 daily, but you are in a particularly sunny environment. Also, what is your pH level? There is higher chlorine loss at higher pH.
    Hi, not sure if the question is directed to me?

If so, my CYA, best I can guess using a k2006 is 130-160, may even be higher, 2 pools stores say 150-160.....I try to let the chlorine get to 8-9 to check pH, last check was this 24th at 7.2 after adding acid, I try to check it about every 3rd day, then kick up the chlorine to 13 or so.
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I had to adjust my run time on my SWG to 7 hours. My cell is slowly dying though. My CYA is 75. I keep my FC around 9 if it drops as low as 7, I add bleach to bring it back to 9.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

15. Back To Top    #15

I am having difficulty with maintaining FC in this heat as well. I am going to add Borax to the pool. It is suppose to help with maintaining chlorine.
    30000 gallon in-ground rectangular, 38Ft by 16Ft, Plaster, 4Ft to 8 1/2Ft deep, SWG, Jandy Nature2, Pentair IntelliFlo Vari. Speed with remote, Installed 8/2014.

16. Back To Top    #16

oldguy70, yes the question was for you. Thanks for answering.