Puter problem

Feb 10, 2008
Gilbert AZ
Yesterday I rebooted my computer and the boot up took a long time. It will boot up but only show the wallpaper (no icons) for about 1.5 minutes, then the icons appear and it works fine. What could the problem be? I did a system restore but it didn't help. Running XP sp3. Thanks

meatloaf said:
Yesterday I rebooted my computer and the boot up took a long time. It will boot up but only show the wallpaper (no icons) fpr about 1.5 minutes, then the icons appear and it works fine. What could the problem be? I did a system restore but it didn't help. Running XP sp3. Thanks

Try downloading and running adaware or spybot search & destroy. You may have some malware slowing things up. Running one or both of these on a regular basis is a good idea.

Click on Start -> Run and type" msconfig" (without the quotes) in the box that comes up the click OK. Click on the "Startup" tab. From there you can selectively disable most of the programs that run when Windows starts. This can sometimes help you narrow down the problem.

Tuesday was also Microsoft's "Patch Tuesday" (The 2nd Tuesday of each month is when they push out Windows Updates). Perhaps one of the new patches doesn't play well with one of your apps. :(

Have you recently updated your antivirus/firewall? I use ZoneAlarm, and the last time the security suite was updated, the autoscan feature was set to scan every executable file before it was allowed to run, which really, really slowed down my system on startup (because of all of the startup programs that run on boot). Just a thought.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.