Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Puter problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Puter problem

Yesterday I rebooted my computer and the boot up took a long time. It will boot up but only show the wallpaper (no icons) for about 1.5 minutes, then the icons appear and it works fine. What could the problem be? I did a system restore but it didn't help. Running XP sp3. Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Puter problem

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf
    Yesterday I rebooted my computer and the boot up took a long time. It will boot up but only show the wallpaper (no icons) fpr about 1.5 minutes, then the icons appear and it works fine. What could the problem be? I did a system restore but it didn't help. Running XP sp3. Thanks
    Try downloading and running adaware or spybot search & destroy. You may have some malware slowing things up. Running one or both of these on a regular basis is a good idea.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have both of those programs and I am currently running them. Let's hope they find something.
    EDIT: The scans revealed no errors or viruses so I'll have to keep searching.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it like that every time you reboot or was it just that one time. If you have automatic updates turned on it may have been installing some components after have been rebooted for the first time.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

It does the same thing everytime.

6. Back To Top    #6

Click on Start -> Run and type" msconfig" (without the quotes) in the box that comes up the click OK. Click on the "Startup" tab. From there you can selectively disable most of the programs that run when Windows starts. This can sometimes help you narrow down the problem.

Tuesday was also Microsoft's "Patch Tuesday" (The 2nd Tuesday of each month is when they push out Windows Updates). Perhaps one of the new patches doesn't play well with one of your apps.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you recently updated your antivirus/firewall? I use ZoneAlarm, and the last time the security suite was updated, the autoscan feature was set to scan every executable file before it was allowed to run, which really, really slowed down my system on startup (because of all of the startup programs that run on boot). Just a thought.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

8. Back To Top    #8

I've tried that also. There doesn't seem to be anything abnormal except for the delay with the icons and a longer than normal boot up time. Everything else seems to be just fine.