My First Slam!

Jan 17, 2014
Apple Valley, Ca
Decided to perform my first Slam due to some truly stubborn algae growth in the shallow end of my pool and all the way around the edge just below the water line.

CYA is 60, so I set my FC goal for 24 (that really seems high)
CC is 0.5
PH is 7.2
Cleaned and recharged the filter
FC to start was 8 at 1030 am
Consulted PoolMath and added 900 oz 7.85% Bleach
Had to run some errands so I couldn't test again until 1630, FC at 23.4
Added 34 oz bleach

Just read some other threads that said testing FC with the 10ml sample was perfectly fine, wish I'd have known that before I dropped in 117 drops of reagent, lol.

I'm wondering, is it ok to leave the solar blanket on to help keep debris out, and maybe help the chlorine hang around? And should I keep my tab floaters in?

Thanks everyone for all the help on here!

Solar blanket A.K.A. Solar cover...giant sheet of bubble wrap designed to heat up your pool, slow evaporation and (supposedly) slow chemical loss to UV.

I'm about 48 hours into my SLAM and I'm not seeing much difference. I'm probably just being impatient, but I was hoping to see a change by now. Although, there is an abundance of grayish/white powder building up in the pool, could this be dead algae?

that is probably algea that your killing, most people report a grey/whitish sediment/powder in the pool.. Your DE filter will rid the dead greenies faster but you will need to watch the pressure as it will rise faster also..

keep those pucks out of your pool unless you want to raise your CYA more... your CYA of 60 is a little high for your region but if you use only liquid chlorine it will come down with splash out, backwash and rain..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.