New and Confused!!

Jun 20, 2015
Paradise, CA
okay so I got my taylor k2006 kit today. I tested my water and this is what I got FC-6, CC-0, PH-7.2, TA-120, CH-350(which stupid Leslies made me put in my pool in the first place!) Okay now when it comes to the CYA I cant get a reading. I put in the pool water and then the drops but the water never gets cloudy enough to make the black dot disapear! does that mean there is a ton in there!!! ugh! My water is crystal clear. and a week and a half ago according to leslies my cya was 30. I am not sure what to do. and my ch is to high. replacing water is not an option for me. :confused::confused:

you are good... when the black dot does not disappear it means you have NO CYA... You CH is a little over whats recommended of 300 but not bad... Your TA may be little high, does your PH rise alot?

did you add CYA/conditioner? if so it can take a week to see it in the tube (get cloudy)

:) smile, not bad at all....

What cowboy casey meant was when the black dot does NOT disappear it means you have no CYA.

Your numbers are not bad at all. CH does not matter with you having a vinyl pool. They had no business except making money to have you add it :(

Kim

oh thank goodness I thought I was doomed! my Ph was initially at 7.5 but has stayed a steady 7.2 for about a week and a half now. I never added any CYA accept for the chlorbrite they gave me, which I guess can make your cya higher?. I want to get away from all that and do the bbb method now so not sure where to go from here. I did the pool math but still a little confused especially when there is no cya reading to put in.

OMG!! This sounds like my house. My newly converted baquacil to salt pool has not been holding chlorine. I thought it was the generator, but that was ok. My CYA has been stable 20-30 ( i know with the SWG it should be higher, but I wanted to cover all bases before i added more of that). I hadn't gotten any strips to test for salt levels yet, so I sent my husband to the pool store today. UGH!! Huge mistake! I told him to buy salt strips, and have them test the water for salt. He walked away with 12 lbs of calcium, and told to do a 24hr boost. I get home from work, and look at the printout they gave him (in his defense, I am the scientist and have done all the leg work to understanding pool chemistry and the SWG)--the salt level is absolutely nilch!!! They sold him calcium for our vinyl pool, but not salt--I can't wait to go back and return the calcium and tell them they better train their employees to understand the systems before they go selling product. Then when they tell me I can exchange for salt, I'm going to tell them i can get it at Lowes cheaper. Time to now train my children to test the pool and understand the chemistry (the hubby might be hopeless):)

Thank You So much!! is there a certain brand that I should get of cya? what to stay away from? do I get it from pool store? I will read all the recommended reads. thanks again!! if everything I just asked is in one of these articles sorry in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You So much!! is there a certain brand that I should get of cya? what to stay away from? do I get it from pool store? I will read all the recommended reads. thanks again!! if everything I just asked is in one of these articles sorry in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

You can get CYA (also called conditioner or stabilizer, they will list Cyuranic Acid as the active ingredient) at Walmart, some hardware stores, or pool stores. Walmart usually has HTH brand in their pool section.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.