Sealing Travertine coping and pavers

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
Since I will be using a SWG system, I plan to seal the Travertine coping and pavers. From what I can find online, Dry-Treat sounds like the best sealer for what I need. Also, when I was looking at the stone place, I ran into another pool owner just getting ready to put in the same coping and pavers as we will be using. He's in the concrete business, and said the only brand he will use for his pool stonework is Dry-Treat. He said they use it to protect all their concrete work, and it is the only brand that won't eventually turn yellow. I know that's not expert research, but it sounds good to me.

The guy who will install our Travertine pavers said it is not necessary to seal it, but already I've gotten a few small stains on the coping, and we don't even have water in the pool yet! So I want to take the more cautious route and seal it all.

Because of the current issues with the site, I'm having a huge struggle trying to research the site. So I'm hoping someone will see this thread who has experience and can be able to post.

What is the best way to apply?

Is there a better time of day or outdoor temperature to consider when applying?

How many coats if more than 1?

What tricks did you learn that worked for you?

FYI: if you live in the NW Houston/Woodlands area, I found a good price for Dry-Treat 40SK. MCA Systems in Tomball sells it for $198 a gallon. Their number is 281-255-4622.

Today on Amazon, it's going for $245 a gallon (free shipping) and MasterTile sells it for $238.09 a gallon. Every little bit helps, right?! Thanks for any suggestions and tips you can share! Suz.

Suzy, I'm a HUGE fan of Dupont "Stonetech" look it up. (I have used this for years).. I seal my slate every year from weather and it has a very nice enhancer that really brings out the colors of your stone work. Its a bit pricey but man does it work great!!! :D

Reactions: aubikenobi
I don't have any 1st hand experience with sealing Travertine but I can tell you what happen to a family member that had some sealed.

My brother has this tile in his home in Fl. When he hired a professional tile guy to seal it, it wasn't done properly and never curried. Latter on he found out that it most likely didn't cure and dry because of very high humidity. The surface was tacky and never dried. In the end it was stripped and reapplied.

Suz, The more I read about this Dry-treat it is sounding awesome... ( I may have to seal my driveway with it :) ) I am sure you found this maintenance guide http://www.drytreat.com/assets/pdf/maintenance_guide_January2015_web.pdf

it is a no slip surface because you are not using "sealer" that you would need to add non slip material to..

15 year warranty and no reaplying, sounds great :) The only thing that sucks is to get the 15 year you have to use an "Accredited Applicator"

Warranty
If an area of porous building materials is prepared and sealed by a Dry-Treat Accredited Applicator who holds a current license you will qualify for a written warranty. The warranty is between Dry-Treat and the property owner, and states that if the sealed surface is properly maintained but fails then it will be re-sealed free of charge. The Applicator is able to log in through the Dry-Treat web site and generate and email a warranty that will include important details about the job. A failure is a treated surface that does not repel water and/or stains from a non-acidic non-solvent based liquid when compared to an untreated surface.

I don't have any 1st hand experience with sealing Travertine but I can tell you what happen to a family member that had some sealed.

My brother has this tile in his home in Fl. When he hired a professional tile guy to seal it, it wasn't done properly and never curried. Latter on he found out that it most likely didn't cure and dry because of very high humidity. The surface was tacky and never dried. In the end it was stripped and reapplied.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll try to make sure that doesn't happen!!! Although these days in our area, finding a good stretch of dry weather will be the trickiest part. I will definitely do a sample test and make sure it dries without being tacky. Take care. Suz.

Cowboy: Somehow I missed that PDF. Thanks so much for sending the link! I read more about dry treat last night - a little more on the science side of it, and it's very convincing.

I have a call into an accredited installer here in Houston to see what they charge to apply it. I would guess it's more than I want to spend, but you never know!

Say, why don't you go ahead and use it on your driveway, and let me know what you think?!!! Just kidding! Thanks again for the info. Take care. Suz.

:) I'll get right on that... ohh wait, I have to start my above ground install saturday, may have to wait.... too funny

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we're going in the morning to buy some preserve outdoor penetrating sealer. $80 for 5 gallons. the guy at monterrey tile said the trick is getting penetrating sealer, not topical cuz it peels. we were told to get a solvent sprayer pump and some lambswool to rub it off 20 minutes later. got our pool filled this week and today i scrubbed off most of the grout that was spilled here and there on the pavers, rinsed off the dirt and am trying to leave everyone out of the backyard til monday morning, when i will get up at 5:30am to apply it (he said it doesn't stick when it's too hot!). then we have to wait a minimum of 12 hrs before we can get it wet.

I spoke to our PB about using the Dupont stonetch salt water sealer to seal our stone and he said he used it in the past, but didn't like the results and now uses Dry-treat 40SK with great results especially salt water pools. I will need to check to see if they are using an accredited applicator to do it.

Thanks, Firehunter! Your post came in perfect timing. As soon as the bathroom re-modelers finish in a couple of weeks, I'm going to have the deck sealed. I was still wavering between products, but I think your post is a sign of what I should use. I haven't found an accredited applicator that I can afford ($3000 before paying for the materials). So, I think I'm going to hire my son and his 'handy-man' friend to do it. There's lots of help with instructions online. This coming week is supposed to be dry and sunny (and not too hot) around here, but the timing is wrong for the indoor workers. I hope we get a few more nice weeks before the blazing heat sets in.

Good luck to you and thanks again for posting your info!!

Take care,
Suz

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.