Loading Up with Bleach Before Vacation

Jun 17, 2015
Houston, Tx
I am new to TFP. I just finished my first SLAM, am really enjoying the results, and feel like I have a pretty good handle on things.

I am going out of town for 10 days and had a question about manging my pool while I am gone.

I have read a lot of threads about this and the suggestions I have seen are: get a liquidator, a stenner pump, get a neighbor to add bleach, put in some pucks if your CYA isn't too high......

What about just adding a ton of bleach before I leave?

My pool loses about 3 ppm pretty consistently. My CYA is 35. My goal FC is 5 and my shock FC is 14. If I am going to be gone for 10 days and I lose 3 ppm a day could I just add enough bleach to take my FC level to 35 *20 ppm above my goal)? I understand that my pH might be a little high when I get back, but I can adjust that pretty easily and at least my pool won't be green.

I am guessing there is a good reason not to do this since I have not seen this suggestion.

Thanks

As I understand, and maybe a chemist will be along to help, you lose more ppm FC per day, the higher the FC level. It's not linear, so if your initial level is higher, you will lose more ppm per day. Today you lose 60% per day, losing 3 of your 5ppm. With 35ppm FC, you will not lose 3ppm, you will lose xx% per day. Actually, I don't think every day will be the same %, you will likely have higher daily FC loss at higher initial FC of 35, and then the % changes as the FC decreases. I don't know how to calculate the logarithmic scale of % you will lose, and I know that your CYA level plays into it, but I do know that your plan can't be to take the 3ppm times the days you're gone.

Hope this chemistry lesson from a CPA isn't too confusing (or wrong!)

Good luck!

edited to add: your plan would likely work for, say, 3 days, because you wouldn't be bumping so high and wanting to maintain the level for so long. It's the 10 days that concerns me.

You just can't trust those CPAs......(daughter is fixing to be one)! But she's on track. Better to take to SLAM level AND float pucks while you're gone. Cover it if possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.