Floating Liner

Jun 24, 2015
Jamison, PA
We just opened our pool and realize that once agin the liner floated in the off season. It’s happened before but not to this extent. I lowered the water to about 18” to get a better look at it and it appears that I have several wrinkles 6’-8’ feet long in the shallow end. We had a new liner installed about 7 years ago and at that time the installer also added a tupperware-styled cover over the skimmer which allowed me to keep the water level high to avoid a floating liner. I haven’t had a problem with the new liner this bad. I called my pool company and they can’t give me an estimate until they come out next week. I don’t want to wait since the water is already down in the pool so I wanted to give it a try myself. Here’s is what I was planning to:

1. Using a small transfer pump, drop the hose behind the liner and pump out the water.

2. Then using my Shop-Vac drop the hose behind the liner and begin sucking the air out and the liner to the wall, while at the same time getting in the pool and pushing the wrinkles out.

3. Then begin filling the pool while the Shop-Vac is still on.The year after we got the pool, we had a floating liner which resulted in the wrinkles, and the pool company followed this process and charged me $300. I wouldn’t have a problem paying $300 this year, but my fear is waiting for them to come out and hearing an excessive estimate and wasting more time in getting the pool in shape. Please let me know what recommendations or comments you may have from anyone that’s removed wrinkles in a liner pool. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

Hello Mike and welcome to TFP! :wave: I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about the floating liner. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. The server problems have impacted several forum replies. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Hello Mike and welcome to TFP! :wave: I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about the floating liner. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. The server problems have impacted several forum replies. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Thank you for the interim reply.

Mike

I've seen people use toilet plungers to help maneuver the liners back in place.

If there is still water under the liner, the wrinkles are easier to remove. Try a large squeegie and/or plungers to see if you can budge them. If the groundwater under the liner has receeded, you may have to carefully reintroduce water behind the liner so that you can move it. With only 18" of water pressure, go slowly. Pushing with your feet helps too, and sometimes tennis shoes give better traction. Push the wrinkles towards the walls.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.