Am I being impatient?

Jun 24, 2015
Ada Michigan
Every year I remove the winter cover to discover an emerald green pool. This year was going well to clean up until a few days ago. I'm trying to shock it but after 3 days the water doesn't look any different. Pump has been running 24/7 since I took off the cover 2 weeks ago. Running on low overnight and high from 11am-4pm.

After running the pump for a week the water was crystal clear but there was a thick layer of green on all the walls. I vacuumed the shallow end and it looked good and 3 days ago started working on the deep end. Parents were helping me vacuuming and while I was out I'm assuming the filter pressure got way too high as it had actually leaked water out of the top of the multiport valve. It wasn't still leaking when I noticed that, and it was reading 34 PSI. I'm assuming whatever was getting vacuumed somehow recirculated instead, the water went from clear to a hazy green about the same color as my yard. I can barely see the bottom of the shallow end now whereas before I could clearly see the bottom drain.

Do I need to just wait this out or might there be an issue with my sand filter?

I have a TF test kit, though it's a good year and a half old in case that would skew some of my numbers
FC: 21
CC: 1
pH: 8ish? The color was between 7.8 and 8.2, have added pH down since but need to pick up some muriatic acid
TA: 100
CH: 200
CYA: Have a hard time on this, at 50 I can sort of barely make out the black dot because I know where it is, at 30 it's nothing but cloudy white. Definitely between 30-50
Phosphates: over 1,000 ppb
Current water temp: 77 deg

I also pulled some numbers as my filter PSI is fairly high. Brand new gauge that is only 2 weeks old, reads zero with pump off.
filtering bypassing solar heater - 29 PSI
filtering using solar heating - 33 PSI
recirculating bypassing solar heater - 27 PSI
backwashing - 20 PSI
Pool shed is maybe a 50-60' run for the return and longer for the intake. Skimmer and floor drain are 1.5" PVC lines, return is a single 1.5" PVC line. No eyes currently installed.

you said you shocked the pool, in what manner was that? Poured in granules? How long after your "shock" did you take that FC reading? If you have an algae outbreak, you'll need to come up to shock level and keep it there continuously until you've defeated the bloom. Not just a one-time shock.

When the forum is running well again we'll follow up with specific advice, links to the SLAM, etc.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
After running the pump for a week the water was crystal clear but there was a thick layer of green on all the walls.
I stopped reading right there. It is pointless to analyze your pool issues when you have an algae farm instead of a pool.

You must SLAM your pool if you expect to get it cleared up. SLAMming specifically includes high amounts of chlorine and BRUSHING and FILTERING to get your pool clean. Now that you brush the pool, the filter naturally begins to get clogged with all the debris and your psi goes up. At 34 psi, you had almost ZERO water flow in your pool.......You must backwash before that.

So, read the SLAM article and follow those directions to a T and your pool will clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.