Pressure leak

Jun 8, 2015
Lexington, NC
I tried to post this yesterday but apparently the forum crashed right when I hit submit.

We went on vacation last week and the day after we left the person watching our pool reported that the water had gone below the skimmer openings. She added water but came back several hours later to find it had dropped again. I just had her shut the pump off until we got home and I could regroup. I'd had a leaking skimmer that I patched and assumed that my patch had failed, but it seems now that there is only a leak when the pump is running. If the pump is off the pool doesn't drop at all (I'm sure there's evaporation, but not a noticeable drop over 1-2 days)

I found a weeping leak where the pipe exits the pump, but it's pretty minor. I lost 1-2 inches with the pump running for 10 hrs. Pool surface area is around 700sqft, so at a minimum that's about 43 gallons/hr which I think would be a pretty noticeable leak.

There's very little exposed plumbing and everything is dry other than the little weeper around the pump exit. Is there anything else easy I can go looking for before tearing out concrete?

I stumbled across Amazon.com : Fix A Leak Pool Leak Sealer - 32 oz : Swimming Pool Liners : Patio, Lawn Garden which appears to have pretty positive amazon reviews.I found a few threads on TFP that indicate this should/might work well for a pressure side leak, but all the threads I find are people who tried it on suction side leaks.. My thinking is a suction side leak would mostly be drawing air into the lines, not having water drain out of them while the pump is running, so this must be a pressure side leak.Is the "fix a flat" worth a try?

OK, I think I have good news... I backwashed tonight and noticed that there's still a stream of water running out the backwash pipe after switching back to normal. I'll check again tomorrow to see if that's still the case, but this would answer the problem!

Question is now, do I need a new valve, or just a new gasket or what are the options and how do I tell?

That's what I've been reading, but how do I determine what spider gasket I need? I don't see any way to ID the valve

backwash.jpg

valve.jpg

Well now I'm confused... Hayward tech support responded sp0710x32 which is 1.5 inch plumbing or the 2nd one is sp0715x32
which is 2 inch plumbing which were compatible with the S-240 filter

Edit - It looks like the 714 diagram is not a side-mount valve, so I don't think that's right..

What size threads are on the valve 1.5" or 2"?

SPX0715D is the gasket for a SP0715
SPX0710XD is the gasket for a SP0710

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I need to check that tonight, I'm not sure. I think it's 2" but will have to measure. I was just surprised there's not a model # somewhere on it.

I think I'm going to get a PVC ball valve to put on the end of the waste pipe so I can stop the water loss while I gather information to get the permanent fix in place. Any downside to that plan? I'm sure my checking account will be happier to not be putting a few hundred gallons a day in the pool, and it's going to at least be next week I imagine by the time I get a new gasket in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.