Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure leak

I tried to post this yesterday but apparently the forum crashed right when I hit submit.

We went on vacation last week and the day after we left the person watching our pool reported that the water had gone below the skimmer openings. She added water but came back several hours later to find it had dropped again. I just had her shut the pump off until we got home and I could regroup. I'd had a leaking skimmer that I patched and assumed that my patch had failed, but it seems now that there is only a leak when the pump is running. If the pump is off the pool doesn't drop at all (I'm sure there's evaporation, but not a noticeable drop over 1-2 days)

I found a weeping leak where the pipe exits the pump, but it's pretty minor. I lost 1-2 inches with the pump running for 10 hrs. Pool surface area is around 700sqft, so at a minimum that's about 43 gallons/hr which I think would be a pretty noticeable leak.

There's very little exposed plumbing and everything is dry other than the little weeper around the pump exit. Is there anything else easy I can go looking for before tearing out concrete?
    ~30kgal in-ground concrete
    Hayward S-240 300lb sand filter
    Hayward 1HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure leak

I stumbled across Amazon.com : Fix A Leak Pool Leak Sealer - 32 oz : Swimming Pool Liners : Patio, Lawn Garden which appears to have pretty positive amazon reviews.I found a few threads on TFP that indicate this should/might work well for a pressure side leak, but all the threads I find are people who tried it on suction side leaks.. My thinking is a suction side leak would mostly be drawing air into the lines, not having water drain out of them while the pump is running, so this must be a pressure side leak.Is the "fix a flat" worth a try?
    Hayward 1HP pump

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, I think I have good news... I backwashed tonight and noticed that there's still a stream of water running out the backwash pipe after switching back to normal. I'll check again tomorrow to see if that's still the case, but this would answer the problem!

Question is now, do I need a new valve, or just a new gasket or what are the options and how do I tell?
    Hayward 1HP pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Spider gasket usually fixes that.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

That's what I've been reading, but how do I determine what spider gasket I need? I don't see any way to ID the valve

Hayward 1HP pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Not sure, I don't have any experience with sand filters.

This looks helpful
    http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...ort_valve.aspx

And this
    http://www.poolcenter.com/c/multiportValveSpiderGaskets
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Both interesting, but don't tell me how to find what model valve I have. The instructions are helpful though! Except I don't have a "winterize" position. Just closed I guess?

What's different on a valve for a different type of filter?
    Hayward 1HP pump

8. Back To Top    #8

That's a Hayward SP0714 valve. Here's a diagram of it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    That's a Hayward SP0714 valve. Here's a diagram of it.
    Well now I'm confused... Hayward tech support responded sp0710x32 which is 1.5 inch plumbing or the 2nd one is sp0715x32
    which is 2 inch plumbing which were compatible with the S-240 filter

Edit - It looks like the 714 diagram is not a side-mount valve, so I don't think that's right..
    Hayward 1HP pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mackguy View Post
    Well now I'm confused... Hayward tech support responded sp0710x32 which is 1.5 inch plumbing or the 2nd one is sp0715x32
    which is 2 inch plumbing which were compatible with the S-240 filter

Edit - It looks like the 714 diagram is not a side-mount valve, so I don't think that's right..
    What size threads are on the valve 1.5" or 2"?

SPX0715D is the gasket for a SP0715
    SPX0710XD is the gasket for a SP0710
    Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: Hayward SP2603VSP VS Super Pump
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

11. Back To Top    #11

I need to check that tonight, I'm not sure. I think it's 2" but will have to measure. I was just surprised there's not a model # somewhere on it.

I think I'm going to get a PVC ball valve to put on the end of the waste pipe so I can stop the water loss while I gather information to get the permanent fix in place. Any downside to that plan? I'm sure my checking account will be happier to not be putting a few hundred gallons a day in the pool, and it's going to at least be next week I imagine by the time I get a new gasket in.
    Hayward 1HP pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Sorry I missed that it was a side mount unit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Well I'd say this is the problem

Hayward 1HP pump

14. Back To Top    #14

I'd say it was!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator