built-in spa blowers/switch issues - ghosts?

Jun 22, 2015
Southeastern PA
Hi all
I recently replaced the two 30' lengths of 1/8 ID vinyl tubing that runs from my inground pool/spa to the air switches for the spa blowers. The old ones had cracked and leaked so the switches would never activate when you push the buttons. Everything worked fine for a couple days but there are 2 things that are happening that have me baffled. First, I have had 3 random turn-ons of the blowers so far. Nobody around, pool not in use, etc. Second, the push-buttons seem to lose their ability to activate the switches after a couple days and I can easily resolve the situation by going to the switch, unplugging the tubing, plugging it back in. It almost seems like I need to periodically equalize the pressure in the airline (which makes no sense). Sorry this is short and may lack info but my previous 3 attempts to post with full data have failed for one reason or another. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello k9sarretired! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about the spa switch. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. The server problems have impacted several forum replies. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Sorry you have fallen through the cracks here.

Lets try this:

Go back over your air lines and make sure there are no pinches or kinks.

Dose the situation occur after hot days?

Finally, as a last ditch solution when reattaching the lines put a little ( and I mean little) silicone on to seal it. This may mean having to remove them with a box cutter however.

Have you checked the tubing to make sure there is no water in it or the tubing conduit? Generally about 50% of the time is a water issue. I know its a hastle but if you are out of solutions, try pulling the tubing out and see if its wet. Sometimes, water is in the conduit, when you pull new tubing through, some of the water gets in it.

I know there is no water in the air tubing. It was sealed on the end I pulled through then cut-off to attach to the push-button. There may certainly be water in the conduit since it is open to the air at the switch location, plus, I flushed out all the junk that was in the conduit before running the new tubing (it was kinda gross from rain water and dead things getting into it. The seals on both ends (push button and switch) are nice and tight but I was wondering if that may be the cause of the issue. If this is caused by temperature and expansion/contraction, a tiny pinhole would probably equalize the pressure without being large enough to impact the 'puff' from the push button. I may try putting a pinhole near one end to see if that fixes it. If not, I can cut that half inch off and reattach it without replacing the entire line. Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I'll keep after this now that vacation is over and I have time to troubleshoot more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.