508 Errors yesterday, still super slow today

gillbee, I'll disagree :) If it was vbulletin it shouldn't be so sporadic. Looks like a hosting or network issue to me :)

Wait, you said static pages work, so I'll still disagree with it being vbulletin but highly likely is database related!!! What does the site use anyway? MySQL, SQL, Oracle?

- - - Updated - - -

gillbee, I'll disagree :) If it was vbulletin it shouldn't be so sporadic. Looks like a hosting or network issue to me :)

Wait, you said static pages work, so I'll still disagree with it being vbulletin but highly likely is database related!!! What does the site use anyway? MySQL, SQL, Oracle?

Well, when I said a vbulletin issue, I was also implying the database that vb is running on top of...the fact that our posts are still here and not seemingly jumbled up makes me think the application software itself (vb/iis) may be encountering issues and that the database is intact. I say iis cautiously, because I saw an iis-like error earlier today, but it could be the application software emulating the same formatting as the stock iis error pages.

I was checking every hour for last two days, on cell, on pc, on tablet, posted on fb, even the newspaper. Hoping this site is not just gone forever when I am just in the middle of my build and will need so much help maintaining my pool in the future. So happy to see TFP coming back online. There has to be a backup plan, at least a FB community just to keep people in the loop. Admins once you get it all set up, any thoughts on that?

We've talked about having a Facebook page before, but Facebook is really not set up well for answering questions. TFP is not going anywhere, but we will occasionally have unplanned outages due to equipment or hosting issues. The admins are working hard behind the scenes to correct our current problems. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

There is a Facebook page, too bad it is not affiliated in any way to TFP and we have no idea who owns it. And at this point I think it violates FB terms of use. Not sure if we could get it removed or take ownership.

EDIT: Looks like that old unauthorized FB page was removed...

I was bored yesterday and created a TFP Twitter account ... Not sure why or if we will keep it or ever use it. But could be a way to send out notifications like this.

We've talked about having a Facebook page before, but Facebook is really not set up well for answering questions. TFP is not going anywhere, but we will occasionally have unplanned outages due to equipment or hosting issues. The admins are working hard behind the scenes to correct our current problems. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

Not FB to replace this forum, but to keep people informed on the status of this site (it doesn't have to be FB). In order for me to find out that this site is back up I had to wait until it's was working. For past two days I didn't know what to think and was not able to get any info from anywhere. An e-mail would have been sufficient, but it just seems easier to post on FB, twitter, etc... for everyone to know. I am sure you guys can come up with something. Thank you!

Jbizzle, good idea...I'd been thinking the same ;)

Everything is running smoothly now and lickity split in my neck of the woods, so I'll treat Ozzy and crew to an imaginary Glen Morangey, a masseuse and a day floating in the pool :) Cheers and thanks for your hard work!

Now we should all go and make a fresh donation to help pay for the beefier server resources! Popularity on the web doesn't come cheap ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree. It let's people know you are working on an outage, if there ever is one. I was originally getting database errors, then yesterday it came up account suspended, so I didn't know what to think. I am sure if some supporters got the suspended page, it worried them. With a twitter or fb account just for updates in case of an outage, due to whatever reason, it can reassure members it is being worked on. Just this newby's opinion.
Not FB to replace this forum, but to keep people informed on the status of this site (it doesn't have to be FB). In order for me to find out that this site is back up I had to wait until it's was working. For past two days I didn't know what to think and was not able to get any info from anywhere. An e-mail would have been sufficient, but it just seems easier to post on FB, twitter, etc... for everyone to know. I am sure you guys can come up with something. Thank you!

There should be a smaller-scale alternate server that can be swapped in that just has a landing page with no links noting the site is down and being worked on. That way one won't get 508 errors or "database error", etc. Of course, once the site is available again, if it's slow and crippled as it is now then such banner information can be on the site and that's what's being done now.

I just found the forum (and was desperately in need of help after having a broken pool pump for 6 months) when suddenly I couldn't access it anymore. I almost cried - to be so close to real, actual help, and have it disappear right before my eyes!!! :cry: But then I used downforeveryoneorjustme.com and felt so relieved to know that help was just on the otherside of the outage! Now I'm putting the finishing touches on my plea for pool help, can't wait to get to work!

Hello once again everybody,

I wish to personally apologize to everybody for the issues occuring on the forum. While I wish I fully understood the issues behind this outage, I simply do not know the root cause. I do know we're expecting to be on a new server shortly and that we're working towards preventing this in the future.

We are sorry once again for this.
Lee

Lee! THANKS for all you do!

I thought TFP was on a new server? About two or so weeks ago?

Not that it matters but.......I am nosey LOL

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

I just found the forum (and was desperately in need of help after having a broken pool pump for 6 months) when suddenly I couldn't access it anymore. I almost cried - to be so close to real, actual help, and have it disappear right before my eyes!!! :cry: But then I used downforeveryoneorjustme.com and felt so relieved to know that help was just on the otherside of the outage! Now I'm putting the finishing touches on my plea for pool help, can't wait to get to work!

I will be looking for you post. We love to help!

Kim

The forum was moved to the new server with Ozzy about 1 month ago. I do not know any of the details, but obviously something crashed hard, even though the forum traffic was not working it hard.

I think Ozzy is working on moving the forum over a bigger and better server at this point.

BTW, many of the modification that were made to the software were turned off to lower the server load to try to get things running again. (I assume like the Pool School tab that was mentioned). After things are running smoothly again, I would except that those mods would be brought back online.

Kim

Long story short, we suffered some issue Tuesday that took the forum offline around 11am EST. After some time the host we were on started pointing fingers trying to put the blame on our end. This simply wasn't the level of service we expected when we first switched last month. Rather than prolonging the pain further, we decided it was best to simply switch companies all together. We're crossing our fingers this change brings increased stability to the forum for some time, as at this point TFP greatly needs some.

As for the modifications that are missing,
One of the first steps we took to trace the issue was to revert the forum to the basic vBulleting software.....with zero changes made. We know the software is stable, thus running with no changes helps us make sure the issues are solved before turning stuff back on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.