Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter has a small high pressure leak on a seam

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter has a small high pressure leak on a seam

Pentair SD80 filter, holds 350 lbs of sand. It has developed a pinhole leak on one of the seams of the body, near the top of the filter. It is 8 years old. I need to change my sand anyway. Is there anyway to patch it from the inside or should I just buy a new one from Amazon for $350? Normal pressure I run when the pool is clean is 20 psi. The leak gets a little worse - shoots up higher onto the house - when I need to backwash and the pressure is up higher.

I thought about trying to heat the outside a little and get the plastic to melt together but then I thought again.....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand filter has a small high pressure leak on a seam

Our general recommendation is to replace the filter once the pressure vessel is compromised. A patch WILL fail. The question is when, and how violently.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Smy is correct of course. Any time a vessel is compromised it should be replaced.

I'll only add that unless the existing sand has calcium scaling buildup, it shouldn't need replacing. In fact, you can just buy a new filter and use the existing sand (cleaned of course) in it instead of buying new sand.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

It's toast.

It might seem like it's not under a lot of pressure, but it is. Have you ever had a tire blow off a rim when inflating it because it had a bad bead? I have, and it's pretty violent and it was only about 15 psi when it let go.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, it is truly a pinhole leak and only leaks when the pump is on high speed, but it is shooting a, nearly invisible, tiny stream of water 8-9 feet up onto the side of the house. I ordered a new one on Amazon for $350 delivered - new valve, laterals and everything. All I have to do is scoop out 350 lbs of sand a little at a time to get the old one out of the way.

Gonna go ahead and replace the sand as it is 7 years old anyway.

Thanks for the input!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by poolboy10001 View Post
    Yeah, it is truly a pinhole leak and only leaks when the pump is on high speed, but it is shooting a, nearly invisible, tiny stream of water 8-9 feet up onto the side of the house. I ordered a new one on Amazon for $350 delivered - new valve, laterals and everything. All I have to do is scoop out 350 lbs of sand a little at a time to get the old one out of the way.

Gonna go ahead and replace the sand as it is 7 years old anyway.

Thanks for the input!
    Shop vacuum
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!