Sand filter has a small high pressure leak on a seam

Jun 14, 2010
Alabama
Pentair SD80 filter, holds 350 lbs of sand. It has developed a pinhole leak on one of the seams of the body, near the top of the filter. It is 8 years old. I need to change my sand anyway. Is there anyway to patch it from the inside or should I just buy a new one from Amazon for $350? Normal pressure I run when the pool is clean is 20 psi. The leak gets a little worse - shoots up higher onto the house - when I need to backwash and the pressure is up higher.

I thought about trying to heat the outside a little and get the plastic to melt together but then I thought again.....

Smy is correct of course. Any time a vessel is compromised it should be replaced.

I'll only add that unless the existing sand has calcium scaling buildup, it shouldn't need replacing. In fact, you can just buy a new filter and use the existing sand (cleaned of course) in it instead of buying new sand.

Yeah, it is truly a pinhole leak and only leaks when the pump is on high speed, but it is shooting a, nearly invisible, tiny stream of water 8-9 feet up onto the side of the house. I ordered a new one on Amazon for $350 delivered - new valve, laterals and everything. All I have to do is scoop out 350 lbs of sand a little at a time to get the old one out of the way.

Gonna go ahead and replace the sand as it is 7 years old anyway.

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, it is truly a pinhole leak and only leaks when the pump is on high speed, but it is shooting a, nearly invisible, tiny stream of water 8-9 feet up onto the side of the house. I ordered a new one on Amazon for $350 delivered - new valve, laterals and everything. All I have to do is scoop out 350 lbs of sand a little at a time to get the old one out of the way.

Gonna go ahead and replace the sand as it is 7 years old anyway.

Thanks for the input!
Shop vacuum

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.