Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing old sand filter... Opinions please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing old sand filter... Opinions please!

I am looking to replace my sand filter. Not sure what size to get. I have a 10,000 gal AG and a 1.5 hp pump. My last filter was a hand me down so I know nothing about buying a filter. Any input is greatly appreciated!
    10,000 gal, AG vinyl, 15x24, sand filter , Blue Wave Tidal wave pump 1.5 hp, Hayward 4.2 chlorine feeder., Taylor K2600 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing old sand filter... Opinions please!

Well, your sig says you have a 1HP pump and your post says 1.5HP. If you have a 1HP pump, you would probably be fine with a 24" filter like the Hayward S244T. If it's 1.5HP, you may be pushing the limits of that filter and need to move up to a 30" filter.

What does the motor plate on your pump give for HP and SF?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry about that. I forgot to update signature. I also realized I posted this in the wrong thread. I have a 1.5 hp pump. I have read that is a bit much for a pool my size but it's what we have.
    10,000 gal, AG vinyl, 15x24, sand filter , Blue Wave Tidal wave pump 1.5 hp, Hayward 4.2 chlorine feeder., Taylor K2600 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You might be able to replace your pump impeller with one from a 1HP pump and reduce your filter size requirement. Might save money in the process if you don't mind breaking the pump down to change it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    You might be able to replace your pump impeller with one from a 1HP pump and reduce your filter size requirement. Might save money in the process if you don't mind breaking the pump down to change it.
    Im not experienced enough to be playing around with impellers so I guess I'll just go for the bigger filter