Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorination Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorination Question

Hi all, this is my third year doing TFP method! Great success, before I was honestly thinking of having my calls and mail forwarded to the pool store. Think I spent more time there than at home. Anyway, my pool has been absolutely spectacular this year. But, it is not really getting used as much in the past. This morning when I went out to get my daily test sample for chlorine I noticed what looked like a couple of spots of algae growing. I am guessing it is in areas that do not get optimum water movement? My chlorine numbers have been right where they are supposed to be and I test for CC every day and it is always zero. If I had algae brewing wouldn't I notice some trouble brewing in my chlorine numbers? I brushed the algae right away, is there anything else I should be doing aside from keeping my chlorine numbers correct?
    TF-100 Test Kit
    16 x 36 @26,000 Gallons Vinyl Inground Built in 2005
    Hayward Pro-Grid 4820 DE Filter
    Hayward HP-2100 Heat Pro Heat Pump
    Aquabot 4WD Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorination Question

I've never measured CC in my pool regardless of algae. I really doubt your problem is water movement, as there will be some circulation which should prevent algae growth with sufficient chlorine in the water.

Are the spots green?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

They were more yellow I would say than green. I have had huge algae problems before I have seen the green monster before, hence my migration to TFP. Could my stabilizer be higher than I realized when I tested and I actually have to bump chlorine up?
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Aquabot 4WD Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefRob View Post
    Could my stabilizer be higher than I realized when I tested and I actually have to bump chlorine up?
    It could. What chlorine products are you using? Anything other than liquid products?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefRob View Post
    They were more yellow I would say than green. I have had huge algae problems before I have seen the green monster before, hence my migration to TFP. Could my stabilizer be higher than I realized when I tested and I actually have to bump chlorine up?
    Could it be tree pollen rather than algae?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Where did you notice the spots? I am assuming it was on the liner? I am notorious for not brushing the walls, although now I started doing this weekly as It only takes like 5 minutes. This could help. Or did you notice spots in the water sample?

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you notice the spots? I am assuming it was on the liner. I am notorious for not brushing the walls, although now I started doing this weekly as It only takes like 5 minutes. This could help. Or did you notice spots in the water sample?

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you notice the spots? I am assuming it was on the liner. I am notorious for not brushing the walls, although now I started doing this weekly as It only takes like 5 minutes. This could help. Or did you notice spots in the water sample?
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, spots were on the liner. Doubt that it was tree pollen, our heavy pollen time here on Long Island is over. I use only bleach as my chlorination method.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Aquabot 4WD Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

I had some algae a week ago in a TFP only pool that has been crystal clear for 3 years and is still crystal clear and CC has been 0 my entire SLAM. I had a dozen or so spots of fuzzy green algae. I bumped my FC up to be a little above target to be on the safe side. Also, I had a little sliminess behind the light and some algae in my pool cleaner, which is currently evicted.

I would raise your FC up a couple ppm to be on their safe side. It is fine to swim up to shock level for your CYA. We've been swimming in 20-28 FC with 70 CYA for over a week.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I bumped my free chlorine level a bit, I am treating the pool as the CYA is 40 although I believe it is actually lower. All my problems have disappeared since that. If the pump is off If I threw a book in the deep end of the pool you could read it, that's how clear it is. Love this Forum!
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Aquabot 4WD Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

Nice!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach