Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Harsco Sorelmix Filtering Media - Is this a good filter sand?

1. Back To Top    #1

Harsco Sorelmix Filtering Media - Is this a good filter sand?

Hi

While I had my sand filter apart, I decided to top-up the sand to make up for what I had wasted. My pool store sold me a "mineral replacement"

They told me this was better than sand - because it would last longer, would filter down to 15 microns, it didn't have silica dust - it was $14.99 for 50lbs so I bought it.

So at home I googled it ...

.. Its made by recycling mining tailings....

its Technical Information
    Grain size 0.850 to 2.25 mm
    Grain shape Semi-angular
    Filtration capacity 15 microns

I think this is not what I should I be using in the filter because these particles are too big.
    From the owners manual the grain size called for is

1. Wedron Silica/Best Sand Co., Sand Grade: Wedron .45-.55mm., Effective Size .46mm, Uniformity Coefficient 1.22.
    2. U.S. Silica - Silurian Filter Sand, Sand Grade.45-.55 mm., Effective Size .48mm, Uniformity Coefficient 1.18.

The closest I can find to that specification is.available from a hardware store.

TEMISCA FILTRATION SAND and is profiled as
    47% mesh 20-.85mm
    47% mesh 30-.60mm
    6% mesh 40-.425mm

Am I jumping off the deep end if I return the product to the store and tell them selling this is a disservice to there customers?

Is the Temisca sand much closer to what I should be using?

Am I getting my shorts bunched up over nothing?
    61000 liter(16110 gallon) Inground, Vinyl liner, 21" Sand filter, 3/4hp pump, 12% liquid Chlorine sanitizer, TF-100 test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Harsco Sorelmix Filtering Media - Is this a good filter sand?

There is no excess of shorts bunching here. I think you are on the money with your concerns and I think it once again points out the ignorance of pool stores.

Returning the product to them for your money back is a good idea.......trying to convert them to become informed and REALLY help their customers will wash over them like water off a duck's back.

A salesmen tells them this is the latest "miracle" product and you can make an extra 10% margin. That's the end of their research. You then become their guinea pig to find out if the product works or not.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School