New Gauge

Jun 25, 2010
Purchased a new gauge (0-30PSI) for my pump filter (cartridge filter). after installing it and placing the pump on high, the gauge only reads 5psi. when switched to low the gauge reads zero, not sure if the gauge is bad or what as I don't have another gauge to try out in comparison. when high the water pressure coming out of the return jet is strong, and on low its strong (not as strong on high of course). going to email the company to find out if the gauge could be bad. I have checked the port on the inside of the filter lid to ensure that there is no blockage. other than removing the gauge and visually checking it out I have no way to check the operation of it.

any ideas on how/what to try/do?

after reading some of the reviews on the website, apparently there is a "nipple" on the back of the gauge that needs to be cut in order to equalize (calibrate) the ambient pressure outside the gauge to inside the gauge. will have to do this when I get home in the morning...

As Dave said, it's common for the pressure to read low on some systems.

If you'll post some pics and/or tell us more about your pump and return eyeball number and sizes we can tell if it's normal or something to be concerned about.

Don't cut that nipple. There is no need.

Is this bad? It sure says to cut it on the gauge, when I cut mine the fluid raised about a 1/4 inch in the gauge..

- - - Updated - - -

Is this bad? It sure says to cut it on the gauge, when I cut mine the fluid raised about a 1/4 inch in the gauge..

What was the psi of your old gauge? It is not uncommon for the psi to be at or near zero on low speed.

I didn't cut the nipple; after reading some reviews on the amazon website about the gauge that I purchased, I removed and reinstalled the rubber plug on the back and its now reading good. apparently this gauge is known for its error reading at first if the pressure outside and inside the gauge are not equalized.

this is the gauge

thanks all for the replies

- - - Updated - - -

What was the psi of your old gauge? It is not uncommon for the psi to be at or near zero on low speed.

I didn't cut the nipple; after reading some reviews on the amazon website about the gauge that I purchased, I removed and reinstalled the rubber plug on the back and its now reading good. apparently this gauge is known for its error reading at first if the pressure outside and inside the gauge are not equalized.

this is the gauge

thanks all for the replies

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.