New build, Socal (sort of)

May 19, 2015
Ridgecrest/CA
So we're building our first pool, and it's time to pick finishes. Rather than ask what tile/stacked stone/deck I should like, I thought I'd go ahead and start our build thread and then ask a few general questions about what I should expect from certain finishes.

We don't expect to be in this home more than 5 or 10 years, but we plan to own it long term. We got three estimates and eventually went with the PB that kept the pool to $45k. Gist of the build is in my signature.

We had a walled and fenced area that seemed perfectly suited for it.
No 3D plan for us.

Rough outline on the ground.

This builder also did the entire dig without having to knock down the existing block wall.

Existing fence is staying, so we welded it back up after they finished.

[URL=http://s212.photobucket.com/user/chipleeiii/media/california%20house/A186AA19-2036-41C9-9F0A-C62EE92BDEE6_zps9se2weux.jpg.html]
D9182513-E896-49F9-A1CD-23758BC7BF10_zpsafz6ianm.jpg
[/URL]

These are some pools we really like.

I guess my main question is do we have any chance of getting a water color like that with light gray plaster? One of these three pools has light gray plaster. One of them is a pebble finish and I don't know what the other one is. I've seen pics here that make it seem reasonable to expect water color like that on sunny, blue sky days, which are abundant here. Other than that I think it's easy enough to pick a stacked stone and water tile that generally matches the themes in these pics.

One other question though, right now my plan is a single pour deck with an expansion joint at the bond beam, sand cast coping, stamped deck, all one color due to the single pour. I intend to stain the coping a kalua or coffee brown with desert tan everywhere else to create a two tone/two finish look without the cost of a double pour. Is that a bad idea for any reason?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ooohhh we're gonna need some more pictures than that little teaser!

Here you go. Thanks for looking. Just because I hated not knowing what finishes people had, this is Ginger concrete, Moriah flag/California gold stacked stone veneer, white plaster and NPT essence Imperial glass tiles. We used 1x2's on the waterline, 1x1's on the seats, steps and baja deck, and Fusion Imperial on the spa waterline. Pics are a mix of iphone and DSLR so the sizes are probably all over the place. Apologize in advance for that.

Landscaping isn't in yet, but you get the idea.
Pool water features on Vimeo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.