Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another question about metal stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Another question about metal stains

Some may know I been battling stains. Do u think it would be wise to bypass my heat pump since we don't use it much anyway. My thoughts are the metals/ copper can be introduced to the water by way of the piping.

I have city water so I'm not sure how much if any are in the water supply.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another question about metal stains

There won't be enough Copper in the City water to cause staining. If you keep good pool Chemistry, there should be no issue with Copper introduction from your HP.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome back ethany! Yes, there have been some cases of copper being introduced into pool water from the heater. Typically it was because they were noted as being either older, rusty, deteriorated, or were somehow poorly maintained. If the system has been maintained in good quality condition that shouldn't be a factor. During your battles with stains, have you actually had the water tested for metals? I don't recall if you did. If not, that's one of the very few tests we do recommend having performed at the pool store (for metals), then we can advise more from there. But just go there to hear the metals results. When they start talking about anything else, just smile and leave.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

5. Back To Top    #5

Had my iron n copper tested at pool store. Came up zero for both. Makes no sense how a AA treatment removed stains, they come back yet no metals in the water. Explain that......