Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the ultimate filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the ultimate filter?

Serious question, if money was no object, what filter would you suggest I use for an 18x36 IG Vinyl?

Just curious what the best of the best is.

Best meaning

1. Works great.
    2. Not overly complicated maintenance.

Of course money being no object is not quite true, but let me dream
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is the ultimate filter?

All filter types have pluses and minuses. Comes down to personal preference. There is an article in Pool School comparing filter types.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Oversizing a filter is recommended. A larger filter wil not only perform better but will need cleaning much less often. As far as the choice of type of filter, just do a bit of research. Do you want the easiest to maintain or the one that filters the finest?
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I would actually prefer a filter that filters the finest. I enjoy working on and around the pool, so maintenance is not a real issue but I am obesessed with clear water.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ssgumby View Post
    I would actually prefer a filter that filters the finest. I enjoy working on and around the pool, so maintenance is not a real issue but I am obesessed with clear water.
    Generally that means you would be looking for a DE filter.

My Hayward 6020, installed in 2004, does a great job on my 20k gal vinyl lined pool.

And as was mentioned, oversized is the way to go!
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Attachment 38774 Size matters
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ssgumby View Post
    In that case, right here: it will filter out everything and return essentially distilled water to your pool

A DE filter is much more practical, though.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

DE will give you the finest filtration, fairly low hassle. Sand won't filter as fine, but is easiest to maintain and use. Adding DE to a sand filter after each backwash can also help it filter finer particles. Cartridge filters catch particles nearly as small as a DE filter and are a bit of a hassle to clean filters, which must be replaced periodically depending on how well you maintain your pool. Since you're going to be closing your pool for the winter, sand and DE filters make it easier. See a better summary here: Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

If you want very fine filtration and are willing to do maintenance to get it, I would recommend an oversized DE filter and use cellulose filter media in place of DE.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit