Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: brown tinted water

1. Back To Top    #1

brown tinted water

Hi guys,

I'm a little clueless, so go easy on me.
    This is my 3rd year as a pool owner, I was always testing with strips. Last year I got a Taylor kit but didn't really understand it well. So I figured this year I'll get the ColorQ 2056 by LaMotte as it seemed idiot proof. Guess I'm wrong.

My pool water has a brown tint and seems to be staining the white areas. I figured it's metals but don't want to be wrong.

I have a vinyl pool 16 x 32.
    I believe it's about 22,000 gallons.
    Here are the results from the ColorQ.

FCL - 0.20
    TCL - 5.82
    PH - LO
    ALK - 8
    CH - 89
    CYA - HI

I have no idea what this means.
    I read pool school, but these types of numbers seem different.

Help a guy out?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: brown tinted water

Which Taylor kit did you get? Can you go back to it....cause that ColorQ isn't serving your purposes well at all if you can't understand the results.

"Hi' and "Lo" aren't good enough results to act on.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

It's the K-2006. But it's from last year. From what I understand the reagents have to be replaced annually, right?

Maybe I'm an idiot but I also didn't understand the Taylor results very well.

4. Back To Top    #4

Whoops double post

5. Back To Top    #5

Tested with the Taylor kit.

I needed 13 drops of R-0006 to get to 7.0. The Taylor table only goes to 10 drops so I'm literally off the charts. I guess I need about 8 or 9 pounds soda ash. Do I add it to the skimmer or directly into the water? Would this be a reason for the brown staining?

TA results from Taylor kit - 30 PPM

Calcium hardness -140 PPM

6. Back To Top    #6

Tested with the Taylor kit.

I needed 13 drops of R-0006 to get to 7.0. The Taylor table only goes to 10 drops so I'm literally off the charts. I guess I need about 8 or 9 pounds soda ash. Do I add it to the skimmer or directly into the water? Would this be a reason for the brown staining?

TA results from Taylor kit - 30 PPM

Calcium hardness -140 PPM

7. Back To Top    #7

I read on these forums to try to hold a chlorine puck against the stains. It didn't do anything at all. I tried the Vitamin C tablets in sock method and that worked like magic. Whitened whatever it touched. So now I know it's metals, probably iron. I guess a metal treatment is the next step.