Raising CYA prior to SLAM

Jun 14, 2014
Aberdeen,MD
I tested my water yesterday after a good few weeks of heavy rains and hot temperatures and sure enough my pool is in need of some attention. Prior to, I was having a difficult time getting my FC to register and stay. I am going to SLAM, but first I am obviously going to raise the CYA. I normally use granular stabilizer, but this time around I've bought the Instant Conditioner from Leslie's. I have two gallons which should raise the CYA to around 60.

Current levels:
FC: 0
CC: 0
PH: 7.8
AK: 110
CH: 280
CYA: <0.5

I am going to distribute the conditioner by walking around the pool, but I am wondering when in the process I should start the SLAM. I am going to add the CYA tonight, and hopefully by tomorrow night the pool will be at the correct levels to SLAM. The FC is getting eaten up by the small amount of algae I just noticed today in case you wondering.

Am I on the right path here?

I've added just the one gallon and I will re-test tomorrow night. Hopefully by that time the CYA level is adequate for me to shock. Thanks!
Why wait? The sun is down. You won't lose any FC to the sun overnight. Hit it!

attachment.php

Should I shock again in the morning depending on what the FC registers?
That is the M in Shock Level And Maintain.

As often as you can, test and raise FC back to 12. As the SLAM progresses, the amount of bleach consumed in a certain time period should decrease. Obviously, you'll lose more in daylight hours to the sun, and generally after a thorough brushing the demand will spike a bit. But the more often you check and the more consistently you maintain shock level, the faster it will clear.

This is a battle to the death - an underwater cage match. You knock the algae down and kick it again and again. You can't let it get back up. You must keep kicking it with chlorine until it's dead. The faster those kicks come, the quicker it dies.

Obviously, you have to work. If you live close enough to dash home at lunch, that would be best, but at least morning, immediately after work, and again at bedtime. If you can get in there between those, do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wanted to thank all who contributed to this post. Since 6/22 when I started the SLAM process, my numbers looks perfect and my pool is crystal clear. CYA is holding at about 32 PPM, and the FC level is holding in between 4.5 - 6.0 PPM. The remaining algae has been vacuumed up and backwashed (still have a few spots on the stairs that I need to get in the pool and clean). This forum has been a godsend and look forward to interacting with everyone more often. Thanks again.

Update:
Numbers this afternoon were:
FC: 6.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.8
AK: 110
CYA: 60PPM somehow (not sure how it doubled)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.