Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often to replace test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Midland, MI

How often to replace test kit

Last year, I bought the TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD, and I still have items left over. I am wondering if this is something that should be replaced each year or if the testing liquids would still be okay to use this summer as well.
    AG owner,
    18' x 48" Intex Metal Frame
    Intex sand filter, 6,500 gals.
    Fafco 4 x 20 solar panel

2. Back To Top    #2

Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: How often to replace test kit

I replace mine every 2 years. Others go longer I believe. I just feel more comfortable with 2 year plan.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

From a Taylor standpoint, your reagents are all expired. That said, if you have had them stored inside, you are probably good for another season (but there's always that lingering doubt)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

See this post for my suggestions by reagent. Basically, the organic dyes are most sensitive and the Taylor recommendation for annual replacement is conservative. If you keep them in a cool place indoors away from sunlight, then they should generally last 2 years but I wouldn't push it beyond that. The acids and bases last essentially forever and I believe the CYA reagent is quite stable as well though I probably wouldn't go more than 3 years on that just to be safe.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"