Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intex Ultra Frame liner "pocket"

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Intex Ultra Frame liner "pocket"

Today while enjoying my sparkling clean pool, I noticed water is trapped in the pockets at the top of the liner:

Now, of course I had to stick my finger in there, and make the horrific discovery that it was slimey.

I immediately removed as much of the water as I could, wiped out what I could & filled it with pool water that I had bumped up to almost shock level. We just had a lot of rain so I'm certain the water in that channel was chlorine free.

While my pool never gets below my FC target (1ppm over target is the lowest it has been this season) and the water is clear, this "breeding ground" has me worried. I can't get into the channel below the top rail very good to wipe or brush it.

Am I being ridiculous (wife thinks so), or is this a bloom just waiting to happen?

I'm curious what other Intex owners do / don't do?

I think I'll be in the habit of dumping a few cups of fresh pool water in there every night when I check FC & pH.

I'm hoping this will be less of an issue as it gets warmer & we use the pool every day.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex Ultra Frame liner "pocket"

I don't have an intex, but I'd be tempted to heat up an ice pick or something and punch some drain holes on the outside of that pocket. But don't do it until someone who is familiar with them chimes in.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

That was my first thought too, but I'm worried if that would compromise the strength of the liner.

I think I'm going to mix up a 5 gallon bucket of my pool water to shock level and do a "mini-slam" on that channel.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Mine drys out pretty quick when I get water in it. I usually just use paper towels if it does not dry out in a day or 2
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

IMO I would not shock it, nor poke holes, just due to potential of compromising the liner.

6. Back To Top    #6

I thought about this a bit, what you may want to do is buy some cotton type rope, like that used to be known as close line, and stick it a inch or so on each side. Then let that hang two or three inches down on the outside of the pool. This should create a "wick" effect, and keep it dry with wind and sunlight.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
    I thought about this a bit, what you may want to do is buy some cotton type rope, like that used to be known as close line, and stick it a inch or so on each side. Then let that hang two or three inches down on the outside of the pool. This should create a "wick" effect, and keep it dry with wind and sunlight.
    That's a great idea, thanks!

I decided not to shock that channel, I just took out as much water as I could. I'll have those wicks in tomorrow LOL.

Now, am I safe to say that if algae was blooming in there and spilled over into the pool that it will die as long as my FC remains at or above my target for my CYA?

That's my ultimate concern here.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah I doubt you have much to worry about with algae, but if you are concerned about the water in the channels, that might just put your mind at ease.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have felt slime in there on prior pools and never had it translate to a pool water issue. As you say, just keep the pool at an appropriate FC level and my experience would say you'll be fine. I don't do anything at all with ours, other than remove spiders, who seem to love all hiding spots around the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

I do always be sure to brush up to that level, however - not saying in the channel, but above the water line. And to be honest, I am not a big brusher, but when I do brush I make sure to knock down that area between the channel and the water level.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

10. Back To Top    #10

I poked holes in ours 3 or 4 years ago. No problem at all. Occasionally I will have to stick my finger through the hole to open it back up. But it keeps the water drained out.

11. Back To Top    #11

The channels in mine were gross last year and I worried about it. Never seemed to cause an issue. I am keeping my water level lower this year and it staying drier.
    18' x 48" Above ground Intex metal frame 6,423 Gal
    Purchased Used (Approximately 3 years old) but new to us.
    110-120 volt Filter Pump with 1,500 gallon (5,678 L) per hour flow rate (Intex)
    Water is from a well

12. Back To Top    #12

Mine is nasty. Sometimes when the pool overflows from rain I will press down on the outside to try to flush as much out as possible but there's always water and algae in there and I've not yet come up with a way to clean it (Though admittedly I haven't tried very hard because I'm the Queen of all procrastinators.)
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Beens View Post
    Mine is nasty. Sometimes when the pool overflows from rain I will press down on the outside to try to flush as much out as possible but there's always water and algae in there and I've not yet come up with a way to clean it (Though admittedly I haven't tried very hard because I'm the Queen of all procrastinators.)

can't you use a glue gun.
    --------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT

14. Back To Top    #14

Great, another thing to worry about....I just set mine up last week and will be on the lookout for this....seems like a design flaw.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

I noticed on my old one, but my pool was quite sparkly, so I never bothered with it. When you have rowdy boys splashing everywhere, it's a losing battle! Moved the pool, so at least now, there won't be pine needles hanging out in there any longer! (Those I did tend to remove, as they would fall into the pool when the splashing occurred.)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by latin_racer View Post
    can't you use a glue gun.
    ?

Glue gun? To what?

Hmmmmmm

Anywhooo... I was just meaning to say that for about 10 years now I have essentially ignored that pocket rim thing and it's never affected my water chemistry.

I should add that most of the time it's only me or one other adult in the pool so no splashing. If I had to worry more about the water from the channel getting into the bulk pool water I'd probably have to figure something out to clean it.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Thanks for all the replies, they have put my mind at ease.

I tried the cotton rope/wick idea and after 3 days the channel is still wet, and if it rains they seem to fall out from being soaking wet anyway. Good idea but I guess it's not hot or windy enough to make a noticeable difference.

I'll stay vigilant with my FC levels like I should and just go with the "flow" LOL.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide

18. Back To Top    #18

Well the rope was worth a shot, to bad it did not work out.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Just couldn't help myself LOL.

One hole in the lowest channel, another 180 degrees across. The hole punch left a nice clean hole.

Dom

Dom - TFP Guide

20. Back To Top    #20

When I had an Intex, I just used a Dollar Store toilet brush to clean out that area and the one at the bottom of the pool. I got algae in those crevices bit never had it in the pool water. I am glad you found a solution.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast