New to TFP, cant get water clear

Jun 22, 2015
Jacksonville
I am new here and have done lots of reading and decided to join. I feel like all Pinch-a-Penny is doing is taking my money $100 at a time. AND MY POOL STILL IS NOT CLEAR!! I will attatch a photo of my pool currently today. They tested as follows: Chlorine: 0 , pH: 8.0 , TDS: 1400 , stabilizer: 100 , Calcium: 205 , Alk: 145 , Phos: 100 ... My pump has been running 24/7 for 2 months now. New sand last year btw. All I was told to add today was 2 jugs chlorine, and 1/2 gal of Acid. Which ive done.

Now I have a couple more questions.. I hear where everyone says to reach the shock level, but how much is that exactly?

And does me being on well water have any ill effect on my water color or clarity? The guy at the store told me to use it, and not the softened water bc of the calcium hardness. But wouldnt this add metals to the water? Im scared of this, bc when I first filled the pool I had to add some metal chemical to clear the yellowness. And I know I top off my pool every few days, as I live in FL and its 100* outside, so Im sure theres some excess iron in my pool I may need to get rid of.. but the guy just tells me filter filter filter.. well its not helping.

I also read that a skimmer sock can help, which I will pick up tomorrow.

I can not get that crystal clear water that everyone has, and they get me to spend $100s a week. So I want to ditch the pool companies and give this a shot. Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time out to reply to me, I thought it would be as simple as going to the store, adding the chemicals they tell me to, and voila! but no.. lol

Attachments

• 0622151834a-2.jpg
    0622151834a-2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 50
HUGS! I am so glad you came here! We CAN get your water clear by teaching YOU how to do it on your own!

First things PLEASE order a good test kit. You are going to need the TF-100 XL since you are going to have to do a SLAM. Look at my siggy to see where to order the test kit.

I KNOW it hurts to spend more money right now but...................the test kit IS what you need to clear your pool.

Most pool stores do not do the tests the correct way. Your pool is proof of that!

Let us know know you have ordered your test kit and I will get you stared on your next step while you are waiting for it to come in.

Kim

I must echo what Kim said. We see it here ALL the time. The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 – link below) is the foundation of your pool care. Why this kit? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

With those results, you'll be amazed what you can do. Nice to have you with us! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.