Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about "Cleaning" my DE Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about "Cleaning" my DE Filter

So, I have a filter with the "fingers", not the grids. Before starting to set up my pool last week, I did a full cleaning of the filter, soaking the fingers, cleaning out the whole filter mechanism, etc. Added new DE, good to go. My pool was very dirty, so we had a lot of algae to clean up doing a SLAM. Had to bump the filter extremely often the first couple days of the SLAM. Seems to be okay today with bumping less. However, with the amount of nastiness we had to clean, i thought it would be a good idea to do the "cleaning" option on the side of the pump, rather than just bumping. So here's where I have questions:

I am a total noob at this, pool came with the house. So, the instructions say to start out like you're bumping, but do it 8 times. Then open the release valve on top, and then the drain on bottom and let the filter drain, right? So I did that and it looked to me as if DE itself started pouring out of this drain. I kinda freaked out because that didn't seem right to me and plugged the drain back up again before losing my DE, and ran here to the message boards! Was I doing something wrong? Or does that sound right? If it's right, it made a pretty nice mess!
    24' Round AGP, 4' deep, vinyl siding. 13,500 Gallons. Hayward Perflex DE Filter (EC40C75). Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump. TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about "Cleaning" my DE Filter

The whole point of that process was to get all the dirt and DE out of the filter. Sounds like it was doing as it should. Although, I would leave the drain open and then take the top off and really spray everything down to start fresh.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

That is the process. You know you have to replace the DE when you're done, right?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, I guess that's what I wasn't really sure about. I'll probably hold off on doing a full clean since I'm still sort of in the middle of a SLAM right now. Seem to be on the tail end though. Would you recommend a full clean on that filter after a SLAM, or am I going overboard? Can that wait until the end of the season?
    24' Round AGP, 4' deep, vinyl siding. 13,500 Gallons. Hayward Perflex DE Filter (EC40C75). Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump. TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jjherm7 View Post
    Ok, I guess that's what I wasn't really sure about. I'll probably hold off on doing a full clean since I'm still sort of in the middle of a SLAM right now. Seem to be on the tail end though. Would you recommend a full clean on that filter after a SLAM, or am I going overboard? Can that wait until the end of the season?
    Once you open that drain and start losing DE, you have to replace what you lost. So finish the sequence and recharge the DE, and after the SLAM is complete and you've had a few days to enjoy your clear pool, then open it up and hose things off and recharge again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

How much DE would I add back in? I'd assume a good bit of it would still be sticking to the fingers, so I wouldn't need to add the full 4 pounds?

7. Back To Top    #7

How much washed out?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

If I recall correctly from reading the manual on your type of filter, they want you to refill and bump again and drain a second time or something. Anyway, I'd add the full amount. Having dismantled grid type DE filters, I can tell you that dropping a standard grid from a few inches 8 times in a row would likely dislodge almost everything. Also break the ribs, but it would get the DE off.