Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Water Systems

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Water Systems

I am curious if I use a salt water system for the summer then drain my pool (16' round) above ground pool will the water kill my lawn, shrubs, and flowers?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Water Systems

Unless it is a plant species that is extremely allergic to salt, no. many folks water their lawn with salt pool backwash.

The salt level is extremely low when compared to something like ocean water.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I have read that there are different types of salt. Morton Pool Salt is sodium chloride. Can I purchase Magnesium or Potassium Chloride? Or would they not be any safer?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Why would you want to switch if sodium chloride is safe (it is) and cheap (it is) and has been proven to be good stuff? (it is)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The salt content in most pools is only about half that of human tears (7000 ppm). It wont hurt plants. I backwash my filter directly onto my yard all the time.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

6. Back To Top    #6

Curious I guess??

7. Back To Top    #7

In theory the other chloride salts would work, but magnesium forms crystals with sulfate at much higher recrystallization pressure so would be more damaging to soft stone in splash-out. Also, it isn't just the sodium that is a problem for plants but the chloride as well so you don't really solve the fundamental issue. If you are going to be backwashing into an area with more sensitive plants, just dilute by using additional water and not use only backwash for that area.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"