Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Above ground vinyl pool liner repair (DIY?)

1. Back To Top    #1

Above ground vinyl pool liner repair (DIY?)

Hi,

I have a friend who just bought a house with a vinyl above ground pool. I want to help him out to repair it. However, I only have experience with maintaining my inground concrete pool. By looking at the photos below, can someone please give me an idea about what is involved in repairing it, the ballpark cost and if it's possible to be a DIY project?

Thanks a lot!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Above ground vinyl pool liner repair (DIY?)

As far as the pool goes that is a liner replacement, not repair....

You can get some measurements and look on line for replacement liners to get a cost for them. Any other costs will depend on how much of that equipment works when you try to fire it up.

There is not much that can go wrong with a sand filter that is just sitting there, but the heater may have issues.

You could put power to the pump to see if it spins up, but don't run it dry for more than a couple of seconds to see if it starts.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Tim. I agree with you that getting a quote for liner replacement is the first step.

4. Back To Top    #4

Your friend has a lot there...nice deck, solid pool frame installed. Even if you need to get a new filter after the liner install---will still be worth the investment---if he wants a pool. A pool is like a pet, needs constant attention but well worth the effort.
    24' X 54" round AGP with Uni-Bead Portofino Liner - 25 Gauge, partially in-ground. Hayward Perflex EC-40 D.E. Filter System 1-HP Power-Flo Pump. Installed Spring 2014.