Hubby not buying it

May 26, 2014
Richmond, VA
Hi all,
I was here last year doing research and trying to fix the issues going on with our in-ground ~20K pool. We just replaced our pump which died while trying to get the pool open for the season. We now have a Hayward Super Pump variable speed pump. Last year I had the water tested by a local pool shop and they said the CYA was really high. I believed them because we've been using dichlor for the last 3 years or so. It used to be a saltwater pool until the swg died. This year the single speed pump died and we decided on the variable speed pump, and that we would invest in converting back to saltwater next year. (couldn't afford to do both at once)

Anyway, last year I tried to explain to my husband about the CYA and that we needed to buy different chlorine and needed to get a better test kit. He thought I was overthinking everything and we argued about spending the money on a test kit. I gave up, but I fought with the algea all summer and had to cancel having friends over several times because the pool was green. I would like to enjoy our pool this summer! I'm thinking of getting the water tested a local shop again. Hubby thinks they are scam artists and will give us false results in order to sell us products. I think he has a point but if he doesn't want to spend the money on a test kit I'm not sure what else to do. We have currently been using some test strips from walmart but without knowing where our CYA is at I guess I could be fighting a losing battle...especially since he got a huge container of Dichlor from Sams Club. That was about 2 weeks ago and it's already 3/4 gone. Perhaps when it runs out I should start using bleach? (Yes, we've been putting copious amounts of dichlor in while trying to get the pool cleared) Should I just buy a CYA only kit from Amazon? (less than $10)

Any advice would be appreciated.
TIA

Read this: Cost benefit analysis!! and show it your husband.

It seems he's playing both side of the fence. Doesn't trust the pool store and testing but not willing to spend money to get a test kit that will give honest and better results but still buys the same products the pool store would tell him too.

Get a test kit. TF-100 is the best you can get. Only then can you take control of the pool with proper testing and know what your pool needs to get clear. In your situation it's likely a partial drain and LOTS of bleach and no more dichlor.

This is more of an issue for a Marriage Counselor than a pool care forum.

Your husband either doesn't want a pool but won't come right out and say it or he doesn't care that you do and that you want to entertain with it. We can overcome ignorance here, but not stubbornness.

Perhaps that should be your approach: a TF100 with XL option has to cost less than a session with LMFC.

I guess I let my annoyance with my (awesome but stubborn) husband color my post a little too much! Anyway, he has seen the light (did research on his own!) and wants to use bleach the rest of the summer. Going to broach the subject of a good kit later this week. Thanks for the bit of advice and the cost/benefit link Joel. I'll show it to him!

This is more of an issue for a Marriage Counselor than a pool care forum.

Your husband either doesn't want a pool but won't come right out and say it or he doesn't care that you do and that you want to entertain with it. We can overcome ignorance here, but not stubbornness.

Perhaps that should be your approach: a TF100 with XL option has to cost less than a session with LMFC.

You are correct. My wife is an LCSW and she bills at about $120 an hour last I checked.

Tell him to buy the $70 test kit and the bleach. It is cheaper than a couple hours on the couch. And waaaay cheaper than half his stuff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cost of the TF-100 is a heckuva lot less than the cost of the frustration, extra expense, and lost weekends with friends. Doesn't your nice 20k gallon deserve one? Don't you? It's kinda like driving a Jaguar and not be willing to replace the air filter in it.

For sure Woody.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

The single best thing you can possibly purchase for your pool is a good and proper test kit. Using the car analogy again, it's like not checking or changing the oil to save money. The next best, and ultimately most important thing you can do is build knowledge. Its all here, its free, and so is all the help you can possibly need. If you'll just get started on this, you'll enjoy your pool, your friends coming over, and it will be EASY. Once things are lined out, there is no more pool drama, and in fact, it gets pretty mundane if you keep up with it. Have him come and read our replies, tell him to ask questions, and get him aboard so you guys can have fun this summer and not dread the pool problems. Wouldn't it be nice not to wonder when or why the pool is going bad again? You can eliminate that very easily, but you must test properly, and keep up with it just with a little effort. Pool stores don't lie about the results to sell you products, but many are woefully ignorant and have awful test results. It ends up being the same thing because they will sell you anything they can, often if you will even suffer for using it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.